Mazda CX-7 This sporty turbocharged 4 cylinder SUV combines the spirit of a performance car with the versatility of an SUV.

2008 Mazda CX-7 Timing Chain Problems and Ebay parts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 PM
Default 2008 Mazda CX-7 Timing Chain Problems and Ebay parts?

Everyone,

I just purchased a 2008 CX-7 turbo with a possible timing chain issue!!!. It sounds like a diesel when the car is warmed up only at idle and its coming from the engine bay by the timing chain of course. So I'm not 100% sure if this is a timing belt problem but from all the youtube video and Mazda Timing chain issue seems I have this problem too. So I'm going to buy and ebay timing chain kit with water pump replacement since I was told one should replace that part too if you're going to fix the timing chain issue on the CX-7.
So here is my specs: 2008 CX-7 Turbo 2.3L 135k no maintenance history and wanted to double check with the forum has anyone used the cheap ebay timing chain kits and did anyone have any problems with using these kits from ebay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-MAZDA-6-CX-7-2-3L-TURBO-Timing-Chain-Kit-with-Gears-VVT-ACUATOR-2007-2013/162876821067?fits=Year%3A2008%7CMake%3AMazda&hash= item25ec370e4b:g:ra8AAOSwCyFbMGd9:rk:2f:0
$109.99 shipped?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Pump-...=Year%3A2008%7
$28.71 shipped.
Also getting these parts from Mazda is too expensive and wanted a cheap alternative.

Please help and give me any history with these parts and whether I'm on the right track that the car does have timing chain issue.
Here is a video of the noisey chain:

Thanks-
Kap

Last edited by kaptainkid1; 10-17-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 PM

It is most likely the VVT.
I am about to replace it my self.
Personally, I am not comfortable getting internal engine parts from eBay.
My choice is AutoZone which is about 3 times more expensive but in my opinion, it is the way to go.
Are you going to do it your self?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

99% of the time, timing chain rattle is on first start up when dead cold.

If it's only noisy when hot, & it goes away when revving, it sounds like oil pressure issues & not the chain.

I would be getting the oil pressure checked before replacing anything.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by nostalgic
It is most likely the VVT.
I am about to replace it my self.
Personally, I am not comfortable getting internal engine parts from eBay.
My choice is AutoZone which is about 3 times more expensive but in my opinion, it is the way to go.
Are you going to do it your self?
Hey Nostalgic,

So here is a follow up, I purchased all the cheap parts from ebay and replaced the chain and water pump kit from Chin Ying corp. It turned out to be the timing chain and it was slightly hitting the valve cover as the car started to warm up. I'm 65% confident about the parts being reliable. This isn't a very high number because the parts did seem very cheap!!!!! I try to do a google search and review for the parts made by Chin-Ying and really couldn't find any reviews what so ever. I found that information quiet alarming. Regardless I pressed forward and installed the parts anyways. I wasn't going to keep the car but I did put on about 500 miles before I sold the car. I ran the car hard and the timing chain held up. The ticking diesel noise went away after the repair. I also had to buy other parts I didn't expect until taking the engine apart. Valve cover gasket and engine mount turned out to be worn out and needed replacement. So after a oil change, new coolant the car drove well and I would expect the parts would last at least another 70k miles but who knows since the car is long gone and out of my hair. If I were going to keep the car I would try to used more name brand parts with reviews. The OEM Ford parts we're way to expensive. Good luck on your timing chain nightmare.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
99% of the time, timing chain rattle is on first start up when dead cold.

If it's only noisy when hot, & it goes away when revving, it sounds like oil pressure issues & not the chain.

I would be getting the oil pressure checked before replacing anything.
nope it was the timing chain and it turned out the common 2.3 liter ford crappy motor. I wouldn't never buy a with this crappy engine ever again.