Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   What I don't like about '17 CX 5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/what-i-dont-like-about-17-cx-5-a-38310/)

Vinipizz 05-28-2017 10:30 AM

What I don't like about '17 CX 5

Recently picked up the 2017 CX 5. The PW switches on the CX 5 are do not illuminate, and the passenger switch is not auto up or down. On my '08 CX 7, both PW switches are auto up / down and are illuminated. With the navigation system on the 2017 I don't understand why when you are switching the radio stations the station display is not shown on the Nav screen. Even my '11 Corvette has the Radio station display showing on the navigation screen and that technology is 12 years old. Also, I don't care for the Voice activated technology on the new Mazda CX 5. I don't think the microphone a sensitive enough does not pick up your voice. I noticed that the Nav guidance voice goes in and out after I set it at a reasonable volume. Let me know of anyone finds these issues a little annoying.

Pipemajor 05-28-2017 05:51 PM

The non-illuminated window switches has been a complaint of mine since the CX-5 was introduced. At least they did put an illuminated door lock on the driver's door this year.

I don't remember the radio stations appearing on the previous gen CX-5 when the NAV map is displayed.

I've had no problems with the voice recognition feature. The other day, the request button on the steering wheel did fail to launch the voice command prompt.

All-in-all, the 2017 is a nice upgrade from the Generation 1 CX-5s and they were no slouches.

mamuzd 06-01-2017 10:55 AM

apparently the window switch has been a complaint for a while. I read about this in one other group too.

Nex 06-03-2017 08:54 AM

How funny!! I picked up my CX5 GT last night.. First thing that annoyed me was exactly that!!
One PW up down only and no illumination on those knobs.. I just sold my Dodge Caravan 2012 which had both D and P PW Up and Down and illimunated on all swicthes..
Pretty sad at that price.

Pipemajor 06-03-2017 01:46 PM

Even our 7 year old Camry Hybrid has full auto up/down on all 4 windows and every button is lit. Daughter still drives our 1 owner '92 Camry LE where all window/lock buttons are lit.

Why Mazda sought to light the rear hatch power button but not where drivers/passengers sit is beyond me.

edmondcx5 06-04-2017 12:14 PM

My annoyances with my '17 CX5 Grand Touring with Premium Package:
I agree, all the power window switches should illuminate. At least on the Grand Touring they are chrome-tipped and a little easier to find. I've seen some videos of the '17 CX5 in other parts of the world and they DO have illuminated window switches on all doors. This will probably come to the US in a year or two, at the very last on the Grand Touring. I'm thinking about seeing if these switches are interchangeable with the US CX5.

I'm also annoyed that there is no retained power to the radio when the ignition is turned off (before opening driver's door). Similarly, the retained power to windows and sunroof is odd. At shut off of ignition, only power to driver's window is available and none even to the sunroof. Really strange.

Radio station not appearing in the Navigation display isn't new to me. My '13 Volvo S60 worked the same way.

I think more and more equipment will be available on the US CX5 year after year. Along with these annoyances addressed. In other world markets the CX5 can be equipped with: power folding mirrors, around view cameras and even headlamp washers. I would look for some of these to make it to our market during this generation.

radiodude 07-17-2017 05:06 PM

West Coast, USA Just got my CX-5. That lack of power folding mirrors is annoying. I got the Grand Touring and saw on Youtube that folding mirrors DO exist! This was almost a deal killer. Wake up Mazda.
Anyone have the part numbers for the mirrors? Also after reading your other complaints, the illuminated switches part numbers?
Another thing, there is a general lack of storage in the front for the driver/passenger. I am moving from a Toyota Mini Van where they seem to think of everything. Anyone have some storage ideas for us? Looking forward to being part of this group and enjoying the new car. Other than these small annoyances, an amazing car.

Conrad 16.5 07-18-2017 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5 (Post 162673)
My annoyances with my '17 CX5 Grand Touring with Premium Package:
I agree, all the power window switches should illuminate. At least on the Grand Touring they are chrome-tipped and a little easier to find. I've seen some videos of the '17 CX5 in other parts of the world and they DO have illuminated window switches on all doors. This will probably come to the US in a year or two, at the very last on the Grand Touring. I'm thinking about seeing if these switches are interchangeable with the US CX5.

I'm also annoyed that there is no retained power to the radio when the ignition is turned off (before opening driver's door). Similarly, the retained power to windows and sunroof is odd. At shut off of ignition, only power to driver's window is available and none even to the sunroof. Really strange.

Radio station not appearing in the Navigation display isn't new to me. My '13 Volvo S60 worked the same way.

I think more and more equipment will be available on the US CX5 year after year. Along with these annoyances addressed. In other world markets the CX5 can be equipped with: power folding mirrors, around view cameras and even headlamp washers. I would look for some of these to make it to our market during this generation.

I really don't know what Mazda was thinking in designing these cars without retained accessory power. Just about EVERY other car on the planet seems to have this yet Mazda does not. Mazda really needs to pay attention to the details of what other manufacturers are doing. It's so annoying to shut your car off only to find that you've left a window open, or the sunroof, and then have to turn the ignition back on to shut the window. Stupid really!

That said, on the 2016.5 CX-5 if you would like to have the infotainment powered up after you shut the car off, there is a way.

Once you place the car in park, hold the shifter button in as you shut the car off. The car will shut down but it will remain in ACC mode with the infotainment system powered.

radiodude 07-22-2017 12:16 PM

On my '17, I found by pressing the start button a few times would turn on the ACC. This is important as I run errands alone and often my passenger sits and reads in the car. They must be able to open a window when wanted. You can press it too many times and it shuts back off. But at least there is a way. In the '90's, I had a cell phone store and we all had Bag Phones. When you turned off your Japanese car, you turned off your call. :) Rewired a bunch of them, so this is an improvement.

Conrad 16.5 07-23-2017 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by radiodude (Post 163477)
On my '17, I found by pressing the start button a few times would turn on the ACC. This is important as I run errands alone and often my passenger sits and reads in the car. They must be able to open a window when wanted. You can press it too many times and it shuts back off. But at least there is a way. In the '90's, I had a cell phone store and we all had Bag Phones. When you turned off you Japanese car, you turned off your call. :) Rewired a bunch of them, so this is an improvement.

What you mentioned above is all spelled out in the owner's manual. What I mentioned above is not.