Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   well she finally found something wrong with CX5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/well-she-finally-found-something-wrong-cx5-40398/)

banjoman 08-10-2018 07:51 PM

well she finally found something wrong with CX5

she came in yesterday and said "we got to take it to the shop". i said why?

she says while i am driving the headrest works its way up on its own,,all the way.

so i go check it out,, and sure enough ,, push it down all the way and as you are driving
and you rest your head on it,,, it starts slowly going up ! pretty soon its all the way up.

i guess the catch or spring isn't putting enough resistance on the bars..
anyone else have this happen?

terry m

paris1 08-10-2018 08:17 PM

Never hear of it. What year/model?

banjoman 08-11-2018 12:26 AM

2016 sport AWD

terry m

Chris! 08-11-2018 09:07 AM

That's a new one, let us know what you find out!

paris1 08-11-2018 10:55 AM

I have to say, that doesn't make a whole lotta' sense as there's nothing in the headrest mechanism that would force it up even if the retention button at the top of the seatback were weak. I would think the headrest would just sit there, as it's designed to be inert unless pulled up or pushed down. As any rate, it sounds like the retention mechanism is weak/faulty and needs replacement.
PS: Have you tried pulling/pushing it up/down without using the retention button (and comparing it to how the one on the passenger seat works)?

schmieg 08-11-2018 09:08 PM

Wonder if someone put something springy down the slot for the headrest.

banjoman 08-14-2018 11:51 AM

its weird,,but as you drive it for a while of course your heard rubs against the headrest. and in short time the headrest is up
it has enough tension to hold it up just not enough to hold it down.

terry m

SeanV 02-19-2019 01:09 AM

Also noticed my headrest moving up!

2016 cx5 touring AWD. I've also noticed this happening occasionally. I figured it was from frequently turning around and stretching into the backseat to put my infant's pacifier back into his mouth as I had not noticed this happening prior to having a child in the back. Just wanted to confirm that you're not the only one with this. No idea if that's actually what's causing it or if it's happening from seating position etc. If you've figured anything out since posting this I'd love to hear your theories.

mazda_nc_dude 02-19-2019 05:02 PM

Same observation in our 2018 CX-5. The headrest is slowly moving up with time. I think the resistance is too low, looks like a design flaw. Don't know if the dealer can fix this though. Please let us know how it goes.

Voodooman777 02-20-2019 06:46 AM

I have this same problem on my new 2018 CX-5, and on my previous 2010 Mazda 3. If you pull the headrest all the way out by pressing the release button while pulling up and out, you will notice that there are several slots in the headrest bracket. Most slots are on an angle except the last one which is square. This is why you can pull the headrest up past each angled slot until you get to the last square slot and then the headrest will not go up any further till you press the release button. Armed with this knowledge, I tightly wrapped some electrical tape around the angled slot where I wanted the headrest to stop, to square it off. I did this to my Mazda 3 and have not tried it on my CX-5 yet because it has been too cold outside. It worked great, the headrest would ride up until it came to the newly squared off slot and stop there. Hope this helps.