Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

In New Zealand you get, Base model GLX, Mid spec GSX, & Top of the line Limited

In Australia you get, Base model Maxx, Maxx Sport, Touring, GT, & Top of the line Akera

Old 06-15-2017, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
In New Zealand you get, Base model GLX, Mid spec GSX, & Top of the line Limited

In Australia you get, Base model Maxx, Maxx Sport, Touring, GT, & Top of the line Akera
I suppose you're from New Zealand?
Let me ask you this: if you would, in New Zealand, have the choice between the Maxx, Maxx Sport, Touring, GT or Akera, would you be tempted NOT to choose a Mazda?
I mean, what's the marketing value of all this naming carrousel?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 AM

So we've put maybe a hundred miles on the new '17 CX-5 now and it's just brilliant. So glad we opted for it over the '9. I didn't drive the earlier version, just this one so can't compare. But we did trade in a '15 Mazda3 GT and it was noisy and rode hard. Otherwise we liked the performance and everything else about it.

Dropped the new car to the tint-shop Tuesday for the full monty including the shade-band on the front windshield. I was just going to tint the two front side windows since the backs are dark tint, but my guy said the dark tint doesn't block UV and we would still get a lot of heat-gain. So he gave me a discount to do all of them, medium on the fronts and light on the rears, and with the factory tint they are now pretty much limo-black. Since we can't roll the windows down for a few days 'till the film cures, it sits in full sun on our 89* day - and stays relatively cool inside - certainly not overheated, and cools down quickly with AC on recirc. I read some horror stories about CX-9 AC not being able to keep up solar gain and cabin volume. Not so with the '5, just set the auto-clime and it works perfectly. Very happy with it overall.

The drive and ride is simply fantastic. It's very quiet and feels totally natural to drive. Previous SUV/CUV's we owned recently include:
Mercedes GLK
Subaru Crosstrek
Scion XB (late)

We drove the new CR-V, CX-9, and looked at '18 Equinox, '18 Q5, new Pilot, Highlander, and potentially willing to wait for the new Traverse for '18.

IMO the CX-5 beats them all by quite a margin, for a lot of reasons. If Mazda engineers can keep this pace they'll become a niche brand much like Subaru, with a loyal, almost cult following.

I really liked the CX-9 and was torn between the two, trying to decide. In the end we simply did not have use for the third-row seating, and consequently the extra $10K made less and less sense. Comparing them side-by-side it was evident they were more alike than different, and in driving them back to back you really could not tell. And finally, the soul red crystal color and the brake-hold feature, as well as the lower cost, made the choice clear. Now having lived with it for a few days it is clear as day we made the right choice. VERY happy with this car.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:25 PM

Picked up my first Mazda and first Non-American vehicle Saturday.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package

Replacing my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and complementing my 2016 Challenger Hellcat as my primary winter vehicle.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:06 AM

[QUOTE=hwalker84;163506]Picked up my first Mazda and first Non-American vehicle Saturday.

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring with Preferred Package

Replacing my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee and complementing my 2016 Challenger Hellcat as my primary winter vehicle.

We have a 2017 Challenger and a 2015 Cx-5 GT so it must be a good combination!

Old 08-31-2017, 04:02 PM

I watched a youtube channel state that the CX-5 might get Apple CarPlay and the equivalent Android system via software update to the Mazda Infotaintment. Any credible source for this info?

Old 09-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Default Apple Play

I just purchased a new CX-5 GT and the Apple Play should be available in the next 60 days. I don't know about the Android.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Default mazda cx-5 2017 2.0 model, new owner.

Just bought a dark steel grey CX-5 2017 , vision plus model and this is a first Mazda for me. Used to own Toyotas and BMW. Toyotas have been very reliable and long lasting. BMW was a sheer mistake, unreliable and expensive needing repairs. Never again a German car!
Mazda is offering 10 years guarantee in Sweden, and that swung the deal in favour of Mazda instead of Toyota RAV4. It has been a delight so far (since last 4 Days!). The colour is the same as the car posted above in hwalker88 's post.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:41 PM

Hey all! I just wanted to say Hi. I bought a 2017 CX-5 GT in Soul Red earlier this month. Have a few issues with the paint that we are working out / figuring out. This is my first Mazda and so far the driving experience has been a blast! Prior to this I had a 2008 Toyota RAV4 and traded it in with 265K miles. *fingers crossed* that I have as good of a relationship with the CX-5! Look forward to getting to know everyone.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:08 AM
Default New owner / love the car!

Hello all,
New to the forums, new to the car. Coming from a line of mostly sports cars/coupes. Sold my 2007 Infiniti G35 Coupe. I'll miss the power and most of all the sound of that exhaust, but loading all my photo gear into that small trunk and the crappy gas mileage got me looking for something more practical.

The CX-5 caught my eye some time ago. Then the 2017 came out and I went to test drive it. Loved it from that first drive.
Also looked at the Sportage (nice car, good power, terrible interior).
-Rogue - Decent exterior design but too much of a "family carrier". Just another SUV.
-RAV4...uhhhh...though not bad looking externally, but too generic.
-CRV. No thanks. Soccer mom territory.

CX-5 Pros:
-- Great driving dynamics. Still surprised how little body roll there is. This car really feels like a sedan.
-- Interior design. Whoever gets in my CX-5 immediately compliments the interior design/quality
-- Features, namely technology.
-- Value for your hard earned $$
-- Exterior styling. This car looks good from every angle.
-- Those dang LED lights!!! The design really compliments the car
-- Quietness of the cabin. Very little noise inside.
-- Love the Bose system (though many will disagree)
-- Driving position.

CX-5 Cons:
-- Yup...I have to admit it. I do wish it had tad more power. Now, having said that, it's not a slouch either, but being an SUV, I think it could definitely benefit from 40-50 pony's more.
-- MPG. Not as good as I'd hoped, but I've only had it for a month. Maybe this will improve.
-- Infotainment screen. It could be either larger in size OR the real estate on of the screen could be facilitated a little better. Too much empty space on either side.
-- Software could use an update to something a little more modern. Navigating the software could also use some improving.

So overall I'm very happy with the car. Would I buy again? Hell ya! Attaching a few pics of my Storm Trooper. It sits on RWC 20x8.5 ET42 rims with 255/45 R20 Falken Azenis tyres.

Quick Reply: Welcome To The Mazda Family... The New CX-5!!!