Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Warranty repair report: multiple warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 AM
Default Warranty repair report: multiple warning lights

My car, 2015 CX-5, started showing multiple warnings: SCBS, TPMS, check engine and more, all of a sudden while cruising on a highway speed. No other symptoms were visible.

Pulled over, checked tire pressure and continued to home as it was a weekend and i didn't want to stop the car till I reach home.

Restarted the car and only check engine light was on. Waited till Monday morning to hit the dealership with the car. Reached there with warning light on but as service person restarted, it was gone. Nevertheless he believed what I had to say and took the car in for an inspection. Code scan did show multiple codes since the time I reported. They didn't have any clue and contacted Mazda hotline which recommended a clear grounds and reset. Clear grounds mean clearing battery grounding point(s), in this case 1 near ABS component and reset warnings. Dealership kept the car under observation for two days before returning it back to me. No payment was needed, a rental car was provided and overall experience was good but I was surprised to see such a non-warranted repair required by a new car with a low mileage.

Since then I have not encountered any warning lights but now I have a slightly lower confidence in my beloved car

Posting here for others.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:05 PM

Keep in mind the newer the car, the more sensors. Issues that you may never know about in the past now has a sensor for it. So I don't think seeing a sensor go off today is surprising, if anything your car is now able to warn you about things before they get bad with a higher degree of sensitivity. In the past, you may not see a sensor until something is already broken. You should think about dropping the $20 for a ODB2 reader to keep in the glove box to snag codes when they happen.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:24 PM

You've got to be careful when you decide to continue driving your car after the check engine light comes on. Some codes are set for conditions that can cause serious damage, while others are not. I bought a code reader years ago, but I have read there are apps for smart phones if you buy the right ALDL connector cable for your dash.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks guys.

I didn't and do not plan to drive the car when check engine light is on. I drove total 20 miles when it was on and that too to come home and visit dealership. As per the dealership, those lights were on because of some wiring issues and it seems most of those codes were not scan-able by an OBD reader. I have one in place which didn't show me any code even when those warnings were on. From the dealership's diagnosis, it looked like those were UNAVAILABLE warnings because of wiring issues than some actual problem. Indeed, I didn't feel any behavioral change during that incident.

I just hope, it remains like that and I can rebuild my confidence on the car.