Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Soul Red Crystal Metallic (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/soul-red-crystal-metallic-38656/)

Belize Bound 08-04-2017 10:52 AM

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

I just purchased my third new Mazda in the last four years. Always very impressed with the vehicles. This last time we chose another CX-5 GT. We opted for the $595.00 Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I am not very pleased with the quality of the paint job that Mazda has so rigorously touted. After a very short freeway trip, I noticed several tiny chips on the hood. Never heard any rocks, etc. hit the hood during this trip. The paint seems to be extremely thin. Also there are very fine swirl marks which appear to be beneath the clear coat. Curious if anyone else has had problems with this new paint option. Will be bringing it into the dealership for further evaluation.

photog72 08-13-2017 10:06 PM

I have a red one as well (2017 CX-5 GT). Paint is weak. Small chips on the hood as well. Then again, I have a white 2016 Accord, and the paint on the hood is chipped as well.

Sea Six 08-27-2017 01:42 PM

You can't get touch-up paint for this color - tried for my wife's Miata. Close, but they say it's not a perfect match

schmieg 08-27-2017 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 163917)
You can't get touch-up paint for this color - tried for my wife's Miata. Close, but they say it's not a perfect match

The touch up paint my dealer sold me for my 2014 matches my 2013 MX5 True Red pretty well.

JeffMD 08-28-2017 04:13 AM

Yea the pains of the Mazda paint chipping are shared by many, and candy coloring which isn't far from pearlescent is a multi layer process that can't be replicated with a single use touch up paint. I use dr colorchip with good results though, and it is a fairly easy process.

Sea Six 09-02-2017 07:55 PM

I'll probably go that route, but it sucks to spend that much knowing the color isn't going to match.

Pyrotec 09-03-2017 09:36 PM

I have the same problem. Purchased a 2017 CX-5 GT and after 9 weeks a half-dozen chips in the paint. My wife has a 2016 CX-5 GT in white. She has 26,000 miles on it with one chip in the hood. I really wish I had bought white instead of Soul Red Crystal Metallic. Love the color, hate that the paint chips so easily.

Pyrotec 09-13-2017 07:54 PM

Help on 2017 Soul Red Crystal

Has anyone else had problems with the new paint color chipping easily? I contacted Mazda directly and they told me they were aware of the problem and to go to my dealer. The dealer told me that their regional rep basically told me to go pound sand and that it was my problem. I'll go the route of contacting Mazda directly again. If anyone else has problems I'd sure like to let Mazda to know. I think they hit a home run with the new CX-5 except in this area. Thanks.

Belize Bound 09-14-2017 11:31 AM

Pyrotec, how did you contact Mazda directly? What department did you go through? I emailed them and basically they told me to go buy some touch up paint!!!!!

Jennifer Lynn 09-16-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Bound (Post 163621)
I just purchased my third new Mazda in the last four years. Always very impressed with the vehicles. This last time we chose another CX-5 GT. We opted for the $595.00 Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I am not very pleased with the quality of the paint job that Mazda has so rigorously touted. After a very short freeway trip, I noticed several tiny chips on the hood. Never heard any rocks, etc. hit the hood during this trip. The paint seems to be extremely thin. Also there are very fine swirl marks which appear to be beneath the clear coat. Curious if anyone else has had problems with this new paint option. Will be bringing it into the dealership for further evaluation.

To the original poster... What was the result? I have swirl marks on my car as well. I didn't notice at time of purchase. I bought it 9/4. It's going back next week to see if they can fix it. But I'm pretty upset. This is a prime color and it shouldn't look like this. I guess I chose the wrong color. 😯

Jennifer Lynn 09-16-2017 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pyrotec (Post 164073)
Has anyone else had problems with the new paint color chipping easily? I contacted Mazda directly and they told me they were aware of the problem and to go to my dealer. The dealer told me that their regional rep basically told me to go pound sand and that it was my problem. I'll go the route of contacting Mazda directly again. If anyone else has problems I'd sure like to let Mazda to know. I think they hit a home run with the new CX-5 except in this area. Thanks.

So the chipping is a known problem with this car?! Any other issues? I'm not happy with the swirls I have. And I'm not convinced that they can fix them. When I asked how to wash the car... Salesman said not to touch the car when washing... Ever. Is that a joke?! Is this paint that delicate?

Belize Bound 10-17-2017 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Pyrotec (Post 164073)

Pyrotec, did you contact Mazda directly again? If so, what were the results?

JeffMD 10-18-2017 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn (Post 164102)
So the chipping is a known problem with this car?! Any other issues? I'm not happy with the swirls I have. And I'm not convinced that they can fix them. When I asked how to wash the car... Salesman said not to touch the car when washing... Ever. Is that a joke?! Is this paint that delicate?

I believe the salesmen are kind of stupid when it comes to maintenance. Some probably don't own a good car. I actually wondered if there was a soap they suggest and he actually said "dawn? it works on feathers so should be fine". Dawn would damage the paint. -_-.

I used mothers soap w/ carnauba, and mothers carnauba wax with excellent results. You can use any cloth car sponge. Obviously brush automatic car washes are a no go, those things are horribly dirty. Touchless is fine but won't get your bugs off.

topol 10-22-2017 06:25 AM

soul red chipping

Have a 2016 CX-5 with Soul Red option. Earlier poster said option was $595, I believe mine was $395....it was a late 2015 build. Only chip I have occurred when opening hatch in garage and contact with opener mechanism...very tiny, otherwise my paint is perfect. Wonder if paint formula changed. The dealer did explain Soul Red was a two step process with a clear red applied over a silver base coat to give a candy apple appearance and would be difficult to touch up. I don't think there is another OEM red that even comes close.

Belize Bound 10-23-2017 11:23 AM

Topol, the Soul Red option for 2017 is different from previous reds. It's even more complicated in as much as it's a 3 step process and the cost is $595.00. Mazda admits that it was a challenge for them to come up with a "concept car" color/process to be mass produced. They should have realized that you don't drive concept cars on the highway!! Very weak, thin paint.

topol 10-24-2017 04:04 AM

???????????

Guess the Mazda guys never heard "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

infonet1 11-27-2017 05:08 AM

I agree! Love the 2017 CX-5 that we just bought but we are having the same problems with the paint. The look is amazing but in less than a month and less that 1500 miles of driving, we already have 2 chips. One chip was found on the passenger door in the indent so not from a door. The other is on the passenger side front quarter panel on top. Both are only chips and no dents. This is very upsetting. I think we should all contact Mazda to complain. I have a 2002 jetta with over 170,000 miles that doesn't have any chips except on the hood.

labouch 02-27-2018 06:14 PM

My wife has a 2017 titanium no chips, I have close to 100 chips on my hood after 17000 kms. Never seen this much damage in only one winter. My 2012 mustang has only 2 that I can see. The soul red seems weak. I will see what the dealer tells me on my next oil change.

labouch 02-27-2018 06:25 PM

Also have a sould red and the chips are terrible after only 1 winter. Cheap paint.

Jennifer Lynn 03-01-2018 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by labouch (Post 166414)
My wife has a 2017 titanium no chips, I have close to 100 chips on my hood after 17000 kms. Never seen this much damage in only one winter. My 2012 mustang has only 2 that I can see. The soul red seems weak. I will see what the dealer tells me on my next oil change.

17000 kms is 10500 miles if I did my math correctly. Are you serious?!?! 100 chips???? That insane and worrisome. I contacted Mazda corporate via the website. I just replied sending them pics of my chips. I urge everyone with this issue to contact them. The more documentation they have regarding this the more chance we have of them doing something. I took my car to my dealer . . I was told touch up paint will be in April 1 and they want to see if that will "alleviate the problem". I rolled my eyes. They don't care. They aren't going to admit this is an issue. But it clearly is. I'm so disappointed. And the fact that we paid a premium for this color is insult to injury.

patjoe 03-09-2018 08:36 AM

paint on Mazda CX5 GT AWD

I have a Mazda CX5 Gt awd 2017 I paid the extra to have the new crystal red I have had it 6 months drove the 400 hwys about 10 time since owning it I have all kinds of chips on my hood doors roof ect. contacted Mazda Canada next stop is a body shop to check this paint out have had no help from Mazda told me I must have followed a gravel truck to close or it is road salt I have read on this form that I am not the only person with this problem I refuse to use one of those pens to touch it up I have never had a vehicle do this I paid for the paint protection which was suppose to heip somewhat with this problem. I also have swirl marks in the paint said I took it to one of those car washes with brush's never did. I am going after Mazda with this problem and would appreciate feedback from anyone else with this problem. Very frustrated this vehicle does not come cheap and I should not have to pay out more to have it look like what I paid for. Upset Sarnia ON.

Belize Bound 03-12-2018 11:40 AM

After just 8 months, this past December, I decided to trade in my 2017 CX5 while there was still paint left on it!! Mazda attempted to put a "concept car" paint on a street driven car. Don't know exactly what they were thinking. Concept cars aren't driven on the streets. Beautiful color but not for a street car!!

schmieg 03-12-2018 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Belize Bound (Post 166630)
After just 8 months, this past December, I decided to trade in my 2017 CX5 while there was still paint left on it!! Mazda attempted to put a "concept car" paint on a street driven car. Don't know exactly what they were thinking. Concept cars aren't driven on the streets. Beautiful color but not for a street car!!

I wonder if they changed something. I have a 2014 in Soul Red and, while it has a few chips from rocks and people slamming their doors into it, it isn't worse than any other car I've owned.

paris1 03-12-2018 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 166631)
I wonder if they changed something. I have a 2014 in Soul Red and, while it has a few chips from rocks and people slamming their doors into it, it isn't worse than any other car I've owned.

The current Soul Red "Crystal" Metallic is an enhanced version of the original Soul Red you have. That's why it's a more expensive option. It's a more dramatic rendition of the color, but apparently not without its problems!

patjoe 03-13-2018 09:16 AM

new red Mazda CX5 2017

I have posted before to reach out to anyone with problems with the paint on this car I glad to see I am not the only one I have contacted Mazda Canada without any results yet dealer asked me if I drive behind a gravel truck, It is almost impossible to make the car look good after washing it seem's to get worse every time I wash it. I paid a lot of money for this ride and extra for the paint I will call Mazda Canada again today then I will put this on the BBB along with the start up problem in the winter I have with this vehicle number for Mazda Canada is 800-263-4680. What's this vehicle going to look like in a year.

patjoe 03-14-2018 09:04 AM

paint Mazda CX5

I'm afraid it is mine looks awful had it 6 months it has so many chips small and large and the swirl marks just seem to get worse you can't touch it after a wash even with the best of cloths very upset with this problem Mazda Canada just is not hearing me I hate paying good money for something and have it look like it dose if it was anything else you would just return it to the store money back or replaced.

mazda_nc_dude 03-15-2018 08:30 PM

Any improvement in the paint from 2017 to 2018? We have the red soul color as well and wondering if we need to be worried about this as well.

patjoe 03-16-2018 07:30 AM

I don't think so I wish everyone would contact Mazda Canada 800-263-4680 then hit 6 ask for Nick he seems like a good guy we will see getting back to me on Tues. I will post the outcome. If negative there is the BBB Marketplac
then a lawyer for advice I didn't pay all that money to have something that looks like that love the car otherwise

Carfo 03-16-2018 01:30 PM

mazda needs to step up and take care of this. a premium paint package should not have these problems! i chose black, but i can see why people with red are pissed. pretty much everyone with red is complaining of paint chips

patjoe 03-22-2018 08:35 AM

soul red crystal cx 5 Mazda

thanks for your support wish mine was black Mazda Canada wants the dealer to look at car again today want it for 2 hours will keep everyone informed of the out come I think I find a new chip or swirl everyday .

mazda_nc_dude 03-22-2018 08:47 PM

We have a 2018 CX-5 soul red and only 1,200 miles so far. We have driven it on the interstate and so far I have not noticed any chips. Will keep an eye on this thread and report if I see any issues with ours.

patjoe 03-24-2018 11:33 AM

CX5 Crystal soul red

I think the chips came from the salt on the highway most postings are saying that over the winter I know that's what happened with mine because I have never driven on a gravel road and these chips are from 1 winter Mazda is still looking in to this problem. Will post if they come up with something more than it is my doing.

Jennifer Lynn 04-07-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Belize Bound (Post 166630)

​​​​​​Belize bound... How much did you lose in depreciation? What vehicle did you get? Mazda won't admit this is a defect. They want to replace my hood but I don't see how that will help . I asked for trade in assistance and they seemed to have said no. The hood is a "goodwill gesture". I want to get rid of this car ....

patjoe 04-08-2018 08:52 AM

CX5 Crystal soul red

I read your reply about Mazda said they would replace your hood I have been at them since late Jan. they finally said they will repaint the front of the car plus the roof, I said is this not just going to happen again they told me still my fault I must have been driving somewhere with gravel, they will not admit it is the road salt and any other pebble that my be in my way, It's funny that all the millions of cars that use the same roads at the same time don't have this problem not even other Mazda's of different color. I'm concerned about letting them repaint my brand new car it is never the same and not doing the doors and back what if it is a different color off by a bit I will see it. Anyone have any advice I have to take it in this week I also would like to get rid of this car, even the shinny black between the doors is all streaked it's impossible to make it look good,might add even the shinny black around the shifter inside has streaks. Advice Please.

Jennifer Lynn 04-08-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by patjoe (Post 167124)
I read your reply about Mazda said they would replace your hood I have been at them since late Jan. they finally said they will repaint the front of the car plus the roof, I said is this not just going to happen again they told me still my fault I must have been driving somewhere with gravel, they will not admit it is the road salt and any other pebble that my be in my way, It's funny that all the millions of cars that use the same roads at the same time don't have this problem not even other Mazda's of different color. I'm concerned about letting them repaint my brand new car it is never the same and not doing the doors and back what if it is a different color off by a bit I will see it. Anyone have any advice I have to take it in this week I also would like to get rid of this car, even the shinny black between the doors is all streaked it's impossible to make it look good,might add even the shinny black around the shifter inside has streaks. Advice Please.

My black parts are the same as well. The outside ones looks awful in the sunshine. I also want to get rid of this car. I don't enjoy driving it cause I'm too worried about any large spec of dust that will chip my car.. It's ridiculous and Mazda needs to stop making this color. I'm worried how much of a loss I will take by trading it in.

Belize Bound 04-16-2018 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn (Post 167113)
​​​​​​Belize bound... How much did you lose in depreciation? What vehicle did you get? Mazda won't admit this is a defect. They want to replace my hood but I don't see how that will help . I asked for trade in assistance and they seemed to have said no. The hood is a "goodwill gesture". I want to get rid of this car ....

I lost about $4,000, about the cost of having to repaint the car!!

Jennifer Lynn 04-18-2018 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Belize Bound (Post 167262)
I lost about $4,000, about the cost of having to repaint the car!!

Belize - did you get another CX-5? And can I ask the miles you had on your car? I'm approaching the 8 month mark and my dealer just said my hood is in and ready to paint. I don't know about this. . . I really would rather just get out of this car. But I think I got the ball rolling on the hood replacement so I'm stuck following through with that.

paris1 04-18-2018 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn (Post 167301)
Belize - did you get another CX-5? And can I ask the miles you had on your car? I'm approaching the 8 month mark and my dealer just said my hood is in and ready to paint. I don't know about this. . . I really would rather just get out of this car. But I think I got the ball rolling on the hood replacement so I'm stuck following through with that.

Why are they replacing the hood instead of just repainting the original?

Jennifer Lynn 04-18-2018 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 167303)

​​​​​​
Good question but this seems to be what the are choosing to do for people No idea why.

Belize Bound 04-19-2018 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by paris1 (Post 167303)

Probably because they don't trust their own paint. They would rather start over on a raw hood.