Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nephron
First time buying a “non-GM” car. Ever.
Bought 2017 CX-5 in Soul Red Crystal last year. Did the paint protection, full service plan, etc too. Took delivery last week of May 2017.
By September 2017, already noticing paint chipping on hood. Like down to the metal chipping.

It’s exactly one year later, less than 9500 miles on it, and there are literally almost 100 chips all across the hood. It looks awful. I have been soooo careful with it too. “Swirling” in the paint? Yep, that too. Previously owned 13 GM cars - never a single chip in the paint. 9 year old Equinox in my garage - yep - not one chip...

Spoke w Mazda Customer Service call center - rep said Mazda is aware of the problem, and is working on it, and to check with my dealership. Went to dealership for basic 1yr maint. Dealership service rep was actually demeaning and patronizing; stating that it’s not the paint, it’s just from driving on the roads. Really?? Funny - all my other cars ‘just drove on the roads’ too.
Disappointed all around, as some other ‘glitchy’ things noted with the car too. Could’ve gotten over those and still been basically satisfied with the brand. But with the number of people that are having the same problem with this new paint process, and no intervention from Mazda, plus condescension from service staff......it’s upsetting. And it generally takes A LOT to get me upset. If no solution on this, it will likely be the last Mazda I ever buy, and I will try to talk any and everyone considering one out of it!!! Feel like I bought a $40k product from a manufacturer who doesn’t care about their customers, that looks like crap and will have poor resale value. Sad.
Is this normal for Mazda??
GM costumer, better sell the Mazda and go back to GM where you are going to be much happier.
Let's not compare resale value between both brands.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Hi Guys. I have had enough of the chipping paint on my 2017 MX5 RF Soul Red and Mazda UKs refusal to entertain the mere possibility that there is an issue with the paint application. So, true to my word, I have sold the car. This is after 15 years of unbroken MX5 (Miata) ownership from series 1 NA to series 4 ND. I still intend to purchase a new car (not Mazda) every 4 years or so. This will mean Mazda have potentially lost out on £100K+ of future sales. If and when Mazda accept responsibility for sub-standard quality, I may return to MX5 ownership (NE, NF, NG....... who knows !). Good luck to you guys taking them through the courts.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 AM

I did the same. My CX-5 was less than a year old when I found the paint chips and found this forum. Mazda stepped up and had it repainted, and while the main panels looked good, around the doors and sunroof did not, and they did a horrible job reassembling everything, and parts would break when I did things like open the passenger door... Loved the CX-5 but I, too, don't see myself returning to Mazda after this experience... Mazda was the only company I went back to more than once, this was my second Mazda, the first being a yellow special edition 2002 Miata. The only other manufacturer I've repeated in my last 20 cars was Jeep, I just got my 5th... I would be more impressed if the response was consistent for people, but while I didn't have any issue with them working on it (just substandard work done) there are quite a few people who are battling to get anything done at all...

SweetPete, what's the latest word on YOUR saga? Hope it's resolving in a good way...

Old 11-27-2018, 09:02 AM

Got my car back on Nov 1. It's going back to the dealer on Dec 1 after the paint "cures", and I assume then back to the paint shop for another repaint. My vehicle was partially repainted, but there are flaws in the newly painted panels (swirls, dust specs, a NEW chip). Some original chips on the roof are still there, including 2 new flaws (scrapes) and the paint shop confirmed the entire roof was not repainted, although the A-pillars were and they look fine now. I have a new hood, but the underside was not properly painted - you can see the rust-colored primer beneath the atom-thick coat of paint they applied So, all this after my car was gone for 2 months, 2 days. Another owner in the Mazdas247 discussion forum said he had his ENTIRE car repainted in 8 days and it looks beautiful. Some of us are not as lucky as others, unfortunately. I'm just glad I reported this paint problem to the dealer within the 1st year, as I'm contemplating a Lemon Law claim if this doesn't end to my liking.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:43 AM

Man, you have more patience than I do. In Wisconsin it's 30 days. Not sure I would've wanted to deal with over 2 months, with more on the horizon... Hope you finally get something that is done right and worth the wait!

John

Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 PM

We have a 2017 soul red crystal CX5. It had 100 chips on the hood and another 100 on the bumper cover. It took a year but Mazda finally repainted the hood, doors, A pillars and blended the rear quarter panels. Our Peoria, IL body shop took 3 weeks but did an excellent repaint. It looks better than the factory paint with less orange peel. It is back in the body shop as they forgot to repaint the bumper cover. Don't know how that will turn out and we will have to see how the repaint holds up.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lulick9
We have a 2017 soul red crystal CX5. It had 100 chips on the hood and another 100 on the bumper cover. It took a year but Mazda finally repainted the hood, doors, A pillars and blended the rear quarter panels. Our Peoria, IL body shop took 3 weeks but did an excellent repaint. It looks better than the factory paint with less orange peel. It is back in the body shop as they forgot to repaint the bumper cover. Don't know how that will turn out and we will have to see how the repaint holds up.
They "forgot" to repaint the bumper even though it had as many chips as the hood??? Only in Peoria!

Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 AM

I took my vehicle back to the dealer on Monday, as the 30 day waiting period for the paint to "cure" had passed. Service manager said he's having a heck of a time getting reimbursed by Mazda - I had assumed Mazda was paying the body/paint shop directly, but apparently that's not how it works (at least in my case). Anyway, manager asked if I'd be willing to wait until Spring to do the repaint/fix, and also mentioned that their own body/paint shop is now qualified to do the repaint instead of the Toyota dealer down the street. I'm trying to decide what to do: repaint, trade up to a 2019 GT Reserve, or trade up to another brand.

Old 12-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Sweet Pete- If you love to drive like I do, my wife and I have had a difficult time finding another vehicle in this smallish SUV class that does not float around corners due to soft suspensions. Our main complaint about the CX5 is the engine power, in particular the flat spot when accelerating at about 40 MPH with the AC running. The 2019 GT Reserve should solve this issue but there are trade offs. First, the turbo is only available in AWD which will add weight, reduce acceleration gain, and reduce fuel economy by 10%. Second, in order to get the higher horsepower rating, the new turbo requires premium fuel. If I had to wait for a (maybe) repaint in the spring, I would plead my case to your dealer's Sales Manager and trade up. We are also looking at the GT Reserve option. We have not had any issues from Mazda regarding the costs associated with our repaint.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Mine is snowflake pearl white and I have the same problem. My front bumper looks like a 14 teenager's acned face and I have two large chunks of paint out the hood from stones and can't even see primer under it! WTF?

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic