Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Default 2018 Red Crystal Red

I contacted Mazda and discussed this issue in detail. So now my complaint is officially in the system but that was a week ago and no reply to date. I feel the best way we are going to get traction is to have this hit social media and Nation news. So let's keep screaming about this and hopefully Mazda will react.

Last edited by Nabisco; 05-18-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Default Soul crystal red CX-5 paint chips

Well this is a coincidence as soon as I just posted my last reply about my 2018 Mazda CX-5 soul crystal red paint chip issue I received a call from Mazda North America as to reply to the call that I made last week. So there's no real update as far as a resolve but I was told that Mazda is aware of the issue and this issue is part of discussions that are ongoing as we speak. So it appears to me that at some point in the near future Mazda will provide an update as to a course of action. More to come hopefully.

Old 05-24-2018, 07:49 AM

I've been a long time Mazda owner and purchased the soul crystal red CX5 last April. I thought maybe I had hit some rocks on the road that I didn't recall. Then I started noticing more chips around the car. I have them on the hood and a couple places on the body as well. I'm disappointed but I hope Mazda will stand by their customers. This is clearly a defect that needs to be addressed. I'll be filing a complaint with my dealership and Mazda USA.

KK in NJ

Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 AM
Default Soul Red Mazda paint

I have a 2017 Soul Red, Mazda CX-5. I’ve owned it for about 7 months and it has over 30 chips in the paint on the hood, bumper, roof and front window casings. I told both the dealership and Mazda customer service that the paint is a poor quality and defective and that I am expecting them to do something about it. The dealership told me that Mazda wanted photos of the car and I sent just over 30 photos to the Mazda Customer Service Experience email. One of the photos is attached. The response was that the chips were from rocks and that I could pick up the touch up paint at the dealership at no cost when it becomes available. I am a careful driver, don’t tailgate, don’t go on gravel roads and my car is garage kept. The impression that I get from the dealership is that Mazda does know about the problem and that with time, they may act on the complaints with more than a bottle of touch up paint. I would urge anyone with this issue to contact the Mazda Customer Service Experience http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/ask and state your situation and send photos of the paint chips.

Attached Thumbnails Soul Red Crystal Metallic-img_0582.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 05:48 PM
Default Soul Red Crystal - Chips like old nail polish...

First time buying a “non-GM” car. Ever.
Bought 2017 CX-5 in Soul Red Crystal last year. Did the paint protection, full service plan, etc too. Took delivery last week of May 2017.
By September 2017, already noticing paint chipping on hood. Like down to the metal chipping.

It’s exactly one year later, less than 9500 miles on it, and there are literally almost 100 chips all across the hood. It looks awful. I have been soooo careful with it too. “Swirling” in the paint? Yep, that too. Previously owned 13 GM cars - never a single chip in the paint. 9 year old Equinox in my garage - yep - not one chip...

Spoke w Mazda Customer Service call center - rep said Mazda is aware of the problem, and is working on it, and to check with my dealership. Went to dealership for basic 1yr maint. Dealership service rep was actually demeaning and patronizing; stating that it’s not the paint, it’s just from driving on the roads. Really?? Funny - all my other cars ‘just drove on the roads’ too.
Disappointed all around, as some other ‘glitchy’ things noted with the car too. Could’ve gotten over those and still been basically satisfied with the brand. But with the number of people that are having the same problem with this new paint process, and no intervention from Mazda, plus condescension from service staff......it’s upsetting. And it generally takes A LOT to get me upset. If no solution on this, it will likely be the last Mazda I ever buy, and I will try to talk any and everyone considering one out of it!!! Feel like I bought a $40k product from a manufacturer who doesn’t care about their customers, that looks like crap and will have poor resale value. Sad.
Is this normal for Mazda??

Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Nephron
Bought 2017 CX-5 in Soul Red Crystal last year. Did the paint protection, full service plan, etc too. Took delivery last week of May 2017.
By September 2017, already noticing paint chipping on hood. Like down to the metal chipping.

It’s exactly one year later, less than 9500 miles on it, and there are literally almost 100 chips all across the hood. It looks awful. I have been soooo careful with it too. “Swirling” in the paint? Yep, that too. Previously owned 13 GM cars - never a single chip in the paint. 9 year old Equinox in my garage - yep - not one chip...

Spoke w Mazda Customer Service call center - rep said Mazda is aware of the problem, and is working on it, and to check with my dealership. Went to dealership for basic 1yr maint. Dealership service rep was actually demeaning and patronizing; stating that it’s not the paint, it’s just from driving on the roads. Really?? Funny - all my other cars ‘just drove on the roads’ too.
Disappointed all around, as some other ‘glitchy’ things noted with the car too. Could’ve gotten over those and still been basically satisfied with the brand. But with the number of people that are having the same problem with this new paint process, and no intervention from Mazda, plus condescension from service staff......it’s upsetting. And it generally takes A LOT to get me upset. If no solution on this, it will likely be the last Mazda I ever buy, and I will try to talk any and everyone considering one out of it!!! Feel like I bought a $40k product from a manufacturer who doesn’t care about their customers, that looks like crap and will have poor resale value. Sad.

No, but something tells me no one's going to convince you otherwise. Good luck with this.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:29 PM

I bought my Soul red CX 5 top of the line with everything I could get on it 37K $ at the end of Feb. Within the first week I had chips in the front of the car. that and the tires will not balance. now reading these post i realize it is not me. First Mazda for me I had ha VWs since 1980 and I live on a gravel lane , I never had chips like this on my VWs. For the most part I like the car but the problem with the paint and bad tires has me looking for something else already.

Last edited by jerry84; 06-10-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:49 PM

I have a 2017 Soul Red, Mazda CX-5. I’ve owned it for about 7 months and it has over 30 chips in the paint on the hood, bumper, roof and front window casings. I told both the dealership and Mazda customer service that the paint is a poor quality and defective and that I am expecting them to do something about it. The dealership told me that Mazda wanted photos of the car and I sent just over 30 photos to the Mazda Customer Service Experience email. The response was that the chips were from rocks and that I could pick up the touch up paint at the dealership at no cost when it becomes available. I am a careful driver, don’t tailgate, don’t go on gravel roads and my car is garage kept. The impression that I get from the dealership is that Mazda does know about the problem and that with time, they may act on the complaints with more than a bottle of touch up paint. I would urge anyone with this issue to contact the Mazda Customer Service Experience http://mazda.custhelp.com/app/ask and state your situation and send photos of the paint chips.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jerry84
I bought my CX 5 top of the line with everything I could get on it 37K $ at the end of Feb. Within the first week I had chips in the front of the car. that and the tires will not balance. now reading these post i realize it is not me. First Mazda for me I had ha VWs since 1980 and I live on a gravel lane , I never had chips like this on my VWs. For the most part I like the car but the problem with the paint and bad tires has me looking for something else already.
You don't say what color, but I assume it's red?

Old 05-29-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nephron

Email the address on the Mazda corporate site. Tell them how unhappy you are. They have replaced hoods, repainted hoods, repainted entire cars. Mine was one that got the hood replaced. My old hood got wrapped up and shipped back to Mazda. This Thursday will be three weeks since I got the car back with the new hood and new paint. The body shop painted the new hood and blended to the fenders. Mazda is doing this for people with Soul Red Crystal Metallic. File a complaint. They will make you take it to the dealer for inspection. Make the service dept aware of what is going on. Tell them what Mazda is doing for others. Make sure they reply to Mazda that this is excessive chipping. You may have to argue with Mazda a bit, but make sure they know that you know that they are repairing other people's cars. I know someone else that was initially denied repair (they said it showed signed of impact, whatever that means) and she called and asked them how exactly they are picking and choosing who they repair. Her hood got repainted and she got it back last week. Do not accept this crappy paint. It's not normal. The red chips if you look at it funny.

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic