Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Pyrotec
Has anyone else had problems with the new paint color chipping easily? I contacted Mazda directly and they told me they were aware of the problem and to go to my dealer. The dealer told me that their regional rep basically told me to go pound sand and that it was my problem. I'll go the route of contacting Mazda directly again. If anyone else has problems I'd sure like to let Mazda to know. I think they hit a home run with the new CX-5 except in this area. Thanks.
Yes I have this same problem. Purchased 2017 CX-5 on 7/31/17 in Soul Red and within 3 months found places on the hood where the paint was flaking off. Last week I was hand drying the car after a wash and found what I thought was dirt still on the hood and it was a circle of white specks where the paint has flaked off down to the primer. I mentioned this to the service manager in December he looked at me like "well it's not my problem"! I'm really upset about paying this kind of money for a car and paint start flaking off. If they won't agree to fix I will go to the regional Mazda office for a solution. I worry they won't do anything. If not I will just sell it and move on.

Old 04-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Default Soul Red Crystal paint chips problem

I have had the same problem. I bought a brand new top of the range CX5 last September 2017, within a month there were stone chips on the bonnet with the base coat showing through. The top layer of paint has chipped off completely and so the yellow metallic base coat was showing. Now I have driven 12,000 miles and 7 months later I have counted 46 locations all over the car body where the top layer of paint has chipped off. I have owned and driven a variety of cars mostly Fords over the last thirty-five years and seen nothing like this. To suggest it is the drivers fault is ridiculous. Clearly they have experimented with a coloured laquer layer for the top coat and it hasn't worked, the fault is with the manufacturer and they need to rectify it. What I recommend is we get the Automobile Association or RAC involved or some kind of independent body to inspect the cars and take the matter further on our behalf. I took it to the dealer and showed them and they tried to polish it out with a spray and cloth with no result. On top of that they cant locate the soul crystal red touch up paint, which is a blessing in disguise really. Can you imagine what it is going to look like five years down the line with touch up paint all over it? I am very please with the way the paint looks and the whole driving experience is great but considering we paid extra for this special paint it clearly should not be chipping off in the first few months of use, if ever. Mazda should repair the cars, or replace them at their own cost, the motorist is clearly not to blame.

Last edited by chuangzu; 04-28-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by patjoe
Mazda said they would repaint my car hood fenders roof not the rest could be a different color took another trip to Dundas salt on the road from the last storm more chips Mazda called said they would repaint and pay only so much I pay the rest I told them to ----them self I now think I going to try the Media so if anyone out there can help very appreciated

first the BBB them I'm going to send off a letter to Market Place I'm thinking I want this car replaced this is just BS if anyone else feels the same please drop a email off to BBB or Market Place and we will see what happens
Any luck with the BBB? I have been arguing with Mazda for over a month. Went to the dealer, took pics, sent them to whoever and said this is normal. Had a few back and forths and they stood their ground, even after telling them that there are hundreds of other people with the same issues and some are getting fixed (in other words, Mazda knows this is an issue and is picking and choosing which to fix). I put in a complaint with the BBB a few days ago, they sent it to Mazda North America. Now I wait to see what kind of response I get if any.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:27 PM
Thumbs down Soul Red Crystal - Beautiful colour - but DON"T DO IT!

Devasted on the return of my CX 5 from the paint shop... a minor hit and run lead to a repaint of one fender, and additional repair of paint chip damage. After 5 months, my car was COVERED in paint chips - that appeared to go right down to metal if not a silver undercoat. After 5 months, my CX 5 had more serious paint chips than my 14 year old Subaru!

Reputable, and dealer recomended paint centre performed repairs and repaint - did a great job; clean paint, great service etc - BUT the car is a completly different colour from the original "Soul Red Crystal" - and the shimmeing effect of red to black, and motion are completly gone.

The original colour that remains is a deep, gorgeuos, and deep red, when beside the off-shade, less dramatic repaint.

The car is otherwise and the colour is gorgeous however it is far too delicate anywhere off the showroom floor - and cannot be repaired by a body shop as the colour application cannot be accurately duplicated.

Not sure if this is a Mazda Canada problem, Mazda International, dealer, or I'm SOL- This problem is well doccumented with hundreds of comments - and is bordering a class action situation as the resale value of cars will be next to nil if they are loosing paint for the next few years...

I want to drive it off a cliff-

Old 05-13-2018, 05:06 PM
Default 2018 CX-5 Soul Crystal Red Paint Chips

I'm 59 years old and I've had over 50 cars in my lifetime. I have never ever seen paint chips like this. There's something definitely abnormal about this paint and I'm sure Mazda is well aware of it. obviously I should not have 15 paint chips all over the front of my car from just driving on the highway over the past month and a half.. I even looked for a front bra for this car and can't find one from any manufacturer. I'm hoping that Mazda will do the right thing and correct this problem and either repaint these cars or let us turn them in and get a different color. I want to see immediate action by Mazda. Here's the crazy thing. I'm thinking about buying a beat-up car just to drive back and forth to work and only use this car for around town!! Can you believe it, I have spent so much money on this car and now i have to buy another car because I'm concerned about how bad this cars going to look in a very short time!!! Yes touch up paint does not do the trick it's just a quick fix as to protect the spot, but it will not match. If Mazda doesn't fess up soon as to the issue and and resolve this with its customers I hope the government will step in somehow. Again I am 100% sure that Mazda was well aware of this problem before selling one of these vehicles. Shame on you Mazda.

Last edited by Nabisco; 05-13-2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Default Soul Red Crystal

Hi all-

After complaints to my dealership, and Mazda Canada- I received a reply from Mazda Canada, that they were aware of the problem, and that I should contact them again by end of June and provided a service number....

Not holding my breath - but hope they have some options and/or compensation.

Please note I have had the car repainted in spots- and although a great paint job- quality work- it is not even close to the original red...

Ive never seen anything like it.

Keep the pressure on Mazda- they’ll come around if they value their customers.

Otherwise the CX 5 has been an incredible car.

:-(

Old 05-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Default Paint chips

At 4000km I noticed several chips in the soul red paint of my 2016.5 CX5. Now at 7000km I think there’s gotta be over 100 chips. First visit to the dealer resulted in a shrug and “call Mazda Canada, maybe they will care but probably not.” So I did follow up through their website. The dealer called me back in to take photos of the issue and expressed his surprise at their interest. I am livid with them as I took the car into another manufacturer and asked for a trade in value as I’ve lost confidence in the CX5 and just want to offload it. I was quoted ~10k less than I paid 6 months ago!! I vowed to rain pain on them if this was not resolved to my satisfaction (proper trade in value on new vehicle) but truthfully I don’t even want another Mazda product. Sad as I had a Mazda3 for 14 years and it was a truly stellar vehicle - also red!! If we can band together to gain some traction here we should. I feel deceived and now angered by their response.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 PM

I'm glad that my soul red CX5 is a 2014 without all these problems. Beautiful color, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Default 2018 cx5 soul red ctystal

I bought my cx5 2 months ago today a paint expert in our area showed me how cheap Mazda was they did not paint the door jams to match the rest of the car he showed me the different in paint color between the outside of car and the door jams have anyone else seen this difference on their cx5 he said they probable saved $300 on each cx5

Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by patjoe
good luck to you on a trade I've reached the end I think with Mazda and all their BS I have put it to the BBB in Kitchener ON. next step is I will contact Mazda Canada one more time then I am going to the Media.
Hi Pat,
My wife and I are having the exact same problem with our Soul Red 2018 CX-5. Was just wondering if you had made any headway with Mazda Canada. We really enjoy driving this car, but we had no idea we'd be having sort of this issue with the paint of all things.

Quick Reply: Soul Red Crystal Metallic