Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Roof racks

Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Default Looks Fantastic

Originally Posted by Rriittaa
http://boldride.com/blog/wp-content/...X-5-Zobmie.jpg

Here is a photo showing basket on cx5
Your CX5 looks awesome, I am new here and just considering one of these, but the lack or power worried me, whats you take on that and reliability.

Thanks, Chris

Old 02-03-2013, 03:56 PM

I've had my CX-5 for about 4 months and I don't get the big deal with the power. In order to get the MPG you need a trade-off. If you are just using the CX-5 as a normal vehicle then it should have enough power - and still be fun to drive. If you are looking to tow a lot of stuff, then it is underpowered.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Banned
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by The Dali
I've had my CX-5 for about 4 months and I don't get the big deal with the power. In order to get the MPG you need a trade-off. If you are just using the CX-5 as a normal vehicle then it should have enough power - and still be fun to drive. If you are looking to tow a lot of stuff, then it is underpowered.
Zoom Zoom is over rated these days. Mazda needs to find a new slogan. It may handle well in corners but power? The diesel would be better suited for this vehicle. I also hope you put on an aftermarket tranny cooler for any towing whatsoever, i put one on my vehicle as my tranny blew without towing anything!

Originally Posted by ChrisDavinci
I assume that there are limits as to how far back a basket can sit (rear fin clearance and hatch opening), but hopefully a basket can sit over the moonroof without obstruction.
Why would anyone get a sunroof/moonroof when they intend to use roof for storage is beyond me! It's a problem waiting to happen.
I F'n think these things are useless, a scam for extra $$$$$. I'm talking about the sunroof/moonroof.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
these things are useless, a scam for extra $$$$$. I'm talking about the sunroof/moonroof.
On our first Mazda we didn't want the moonroof but it came as part of the package with the side airbags and we did want those.

I found it pretty useless for the first couple of years because at any sort of speed it was just too loud with it open; it was hard to hear the radio and hard to hear people talk. Then we added the little visor for it. With those in place you can have it fully open at 70 mph and still carry on a normal conversation.

I love fresh air and a bit of a feel of outside when driving and very few cars have aerodynamics that make it reasonable to have the side windows down at speed. The wind just blasts in too much. My 240Z works pretty good that way as the air doesn't blast right on you. But any of the side windows down at speed in the CX-5 gets really loud and a lot of direct wind from the front windows. With the moonroof and visor it gives me just the right amount of fresh air and open feeling. If it isn't so hot that I'm running the AC or raining I pretty much have it open. And if it is only a light rain and I'm moving pretty good I'll still have it open as the water gets blown over. (but if you slow down too fast any water that is on the roof behind the opening will come pouring in).

Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Ever drive at reasonable speed with just the rear windows say 1/2 way down?
It's a different experience and the sound can be menacing.
I never worry about the sound too much, just turn up the stereo!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 PM

My preference is the factory moonroof, when I want a bit of sun and/or fresh air to supplement A/C. It works very well for that purpose as equipped.

I purposely selected a CX-5 without a rack since I never use the rack and prefer the clean smooth-top look.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
I never worry about the sound too much, just turn up the stereo!
That works great, unless I want to talk to someone in the car or listen to the news.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Smile Crossbar parts

I'm not sure where to look yet without calling my Mazda dealer but I was removing the cross bars on my CX-5's roof rails and one of the clips for the crossbar broke. It's the black plastic extension on the end of the black slider piece that installs inside of the rails. The black slider piece is the piece that helps fasten the crossbar to the rail from the inside of the rail. I broke the little black piece of plastic on that slider. Should I worry about replacing it or will even affect the cross bars when it comes to re-installing them and loading whatever on top. I think the only function the plastic piece was to keep the slider from sliding out the back of the rail unintended.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM

Does anyone know what the best option would be for a Safari roof rack/basket? Should I get the factory rails or something direct mount to the roof? I would like something like Surco Safari Roof Rack - Surco Safari Basket - Surco Safari Racks , but I don't know of any other options.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:04 PM
Default OEM Roof Rack install

Im looking @ buying the OEM roof Rack plus bars for my 2014 CX-5
Anyone have experience installing these? Im trying to find instructions online to see how hard it would be to install my self

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof racks