Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Roof Rack/Rails (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/roof-rack-rails-49452/)

contoocook 04-07-2022 12:01 PM

Roof Rack/Rails

Have a 2016 CX-5 and presently have a thule rack system on the car (clips and mount rests on roof moulding). This set up is not recommended for a roof top tent as it is not a "secure" attachment. USA CX-5's for some incomprehensible reason, no longer have the attachment points under the moulding (my 2012 Maxda 3 does! and the europe version on the CX-5 does.).
Has anyone had any experience with installing the factory roof rails and using aftermarket roof racks to use a roof top tent?

Not sure how to proceed here and I am flummoxed as to why the USA version is different than europe's version. Mazda dealer has been completely unhelpful and it looks to me like the factory rails are crap.

Thanks

Grouch 04-07-2022 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by contoocook (Post 203813)
Have a 2016 CX-5 and presently have a thule rack system on the car (clips and mount rests on roof moulding). This set up is not recommended for a roof top tent as it is not a "secure" attachment. USA CX-5's for some incomprehensible reason, no longer have the attachment points under the moulding (my 2012 Maxda 3 does! and the europe version on the CX-5 does.).
Has anyone had any experience with installing the factory roof rails and using aftermarket roof racks to use a roof top tent?

Not sure how to proceed here and I am flummoxed as to why the USA version is different than europe's version. Mazda dealer has been completely unhelpful and it looks to me like the factory rails are crap.

Thanks

When I bought my 2016, it had the rails but not the cross bars. I'll have to look at mine and see how they are mounted. I remember the dealer mentioning adding them to another one on the lot when I bought mine.

Bucko 04-08-2022 12:25 PM

Following

Grouch 04-09-2022 10:23 AM

Thanks

I looked at my car. I've got the factory roof rails with cross bars. It seems to be pretty solid.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.maz...764cf9900c.jpg

I don't think the car is suitable for a roof top tent as it's got a rather small foot print and is fairly short in the roof department. The long rails can be gotten on Ebay. While I have a rack to carry cargo on the roof and have done so a couple of times, the cross rails sit up a bit and concentrate the weight in small spots. Personally, I wouldn't want to sleep on the roof.

Chanin84 10-22-2023 06:39 PM

Thanks

Wait your saying the 2016 dosent have the fix attachment under the rubber covers