Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Oil drain plug crush washer (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/oil-drain-plug-crush-washer-49108/)

raylo 02-19-2022 12:17 PM

Oil drain plug crush washer

I have never done an oil change on a Mazda so I looked at a quick youtube and the poster showed that CX-5 has a crush washer on the oil drain plug. Hard to tell from the video but it looks sort of like the washers on my Toyota Tacoma (which I don't have with me) on which I usually reuse them for several changes. I have no idea what condition this one will be in so I will need to pick some up before I get into it. Of course, I can run across town to the dealer but there are the usual auto parts stores much closer and maybe they will have something that'll work? Where do you guys get them and what type do you recommend?

Callisto 02-19-2022 12:43 PM

I would not recommend to reuse the washer on the oil pan of either the engine or the transmission.
There are many places to get them. My last order was here.

M14 Aluminum Oil Drain Plug Crush Washers Gaskets Fits for Mazda, Replacement for the Part # 9956-41-400, Used for Oil Change, 10 Pack

raylo 02-19-2022 03:16 PM

Are these OEM washers all aluminum or an aluminum-fiber sandwich? I have some all metal ones on my Triumph motorcycle but then my Tacoma uses an alu-fiber sandwich. Then my Chevy Corvette has a rubber o-ring. I think I'll get a couple from the Mazda dealer to make sure I am getting the correct type... and if those can be had from Amazon all the better. It's kind of crazy how the mfgs seem to do this different.

Callisto 02-19-2022 07:13 PM

Aluminum only

Dennis Wendt 02-20-2022 12:26 AM

Even some hardware stores might have aluminum washers. 14 mm.
All auto parts stores also would have them.
I have re-used crush washers for more than one oil change. No problems.
I did turn them over each time however.
It was more out of necessity than cheapness. Store closed once and forget to get one
ahead and was part way through the OC.
The 10 pack is the way to go IMO.

My 2¢

raylo 02-20-2022 04:54 PM

O'Reillys had them, 99 cents apiece. Oil change done. I picked up 3 of these today from O"Reilly so that will last for awhile. I am pretty sure the aluminum and copper washers I have for my Triumph motorcycle back home are the same specs. I have a bag of each so have plenty... forever.

Dorman AutoGrade Drain Plug Gasket 095147 | O'Reilly Auto Parts (oreillyauto.com)

Callisto 02-20-2022 05:53 PM

Ya don't use anything except a washer that is designed for a drain plug. I think you can go look into why that is! ;)

I use the one that say for a MAZDA for WARRANTY reason in case something ever comes into question. Otherwise, I have drawers full of "DRAIN PLUG WASHERS"!! :cool:

For the record washers designed for an oil sump are not the same as a common washer found a t a hardware store. :cool: