Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Sport vs. Jeep Cherokee base model

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 11:35 AM
Default CX-5 Sport vs. Jeep Cherokee base model

My wife has narrowed down her selection to these two cars. She is very simplistic with her automobiles. She does not want the bells and whistles. That's why we're looking at the base models. I have leased a 2012 Mazda6 Sport, a 2014 Mazda6 Touring and just purchased a 2017 Mazda6 GT with the Premium Package. Increasing my fancy bits as I went. So, my preference is very Mazda biased. However, it is her car so it is her choice.

Is there any knowledge out there that can provide a direct comparison for these two models. All opinions are welcome. If you are citing reviews or fact based information, please provide a link if you can.

Have a ZoomZoom day.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:58 PM

Have her take a look at any quality survey such as JD Powers or Consumer Reports and she'll find there's no comparison between the two. FCA products, including all Jeep models, are always at the very bottom of the ratings while Mazdas are always in the top quartile. Jeeps still sell because people like the macho image and do irrational things. I hope she's not one of those!

Last edited by paris1; 10-13-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:07 PM

I narrowed down between the jeep cherokee and mazda cx-5 as well. After I read about the transmission and engine issues with the Cherokee, I sided with the Mazda.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:36 AM

Will never buy another jeep product ever again had a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland. It was my wife’s and don’t get me wrong it looked good with all the amenities it came with but it began to literally fall apart, not built to last and it spent more time at the dealer for repairs than in my driveway. Off loaded it and she got a CRV (I tried to get her to get CX5 also) and she is way happier.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:43 AM

Thank you all for the input. My wife had a CX-5 for about 24 hours, yesterday, on an extended test drive. Instant love. With the exception of Jeep running a 50% off sale, a CX-5 Sport will soon be resting in our driveway. (the sound of sighing relief in the background)

Old 10-13-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by metz1295
Thank you all for the input. My wife had a CX-5 for about 24 hours, yesterday, on an extended test drive. Instant love. With the exception of Jeep running a 50% off sale, a CX-5 Sport will soon be resting in our driveway. (the sound of sighing relief in the background)
Two quotes come to mind: "You get what you pay for." and "There's not 'right price' for the 'wrong product'".

Old 10-13-2017, 04:45 PM

GREAT! I was going to suggest taking her to sit in a CX-5 then immediately taking her to sit in a Cherokee. That's probably all it would have taken. She wouldn't be able to get back in a CX-5 fast enough.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:36 PM

I think you made the right decision. I have a 2014 CX5 and a 2014 Grand Cherokee. I bought the GC because of its off-road capabilities while being economical and comfortable getting to where I leave the pavement. I also bought the Mopar lifetime Maxcare service contract on it as it has all kinds of electronic goodies and I'm familiar with Jeep's repair reputation. For most of our driving and short trips (like the 100 miles to my daughter's house), we use the CX5 or my MX5. So far, the Jeep has been dependable, but a blown rear shock and a bricked radio has already paid for the service contract. The Cherokee isn't as solid as the GC and, if you aren't planning on off-road use, there are better choices than Jeep.