Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Noise under steering wheel from my brand new CX5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/noise-under-steering-wheel-my-brand-new-cx5-38779/)

kagandon 08-31-2017 02:08 PM

Noise under steering wheel from my brand new CX5

I have a brand new cx5 2017.
I hear a metelic noise like a screw which rolls around under my steering wheel when I stop and go or go over a bump. Its VERY annoying.
I went to dealer and they said they would need to take apart the front dash board to try to find this noise.
Any suggestions?

paris1 08-31-2017 04:59 PM

You say it's coming from "under my steering wheel". Does that mean the steering column housing? If so, why can't they just drop the lower cover from the column (a relatively easy thing to do involving 4-6 screws) and see if anything falls out?

Sea Six 09-02-2017 07:49 PM

The car's under warranty - get the dealer to fix it!

paris1 09-02-2017 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 163983)
The car's under warranty - get the dealer to fix it!

I think he's trying to avoid the dealer tearing apart the dash. Which is understandable!

andromeda 11-11-2017 09:29 PM

Steering wheel makes a weird noise

Since Sept. 1st have got Mazda CX-5 2017. A week later it starts making a weird noise when I turn the steering wheel (left/right) slightly, not much for example when changing lane smoothly. It does many times, however not always. The sound is annoying, it`s like a old door, or cat :) I took the car to the mazda dealer, they said they cannot duplicate the issue. As I said it is NOT always. I spoke to the manager, he took a test drive with me. The car did not co-operate at that time as we drove different routes for like 40min and it happened just 2 times. Normally at the area where I live happens much more often! Anyway, they had car for almost 2 weeks. I was told they check all they could called even manufacturer for help as they could hear the noise anyway had no idea where it comes from. They said it does not make that weird sound for last 2 days and gave it back to me for a test. It was good for 1 day only, it does make that weird "old door or cat" sound again. That`s terrible as it is brand new car! ... but sounds like a pretty old one! I do not know what to do now as the dealer does not know either how to fix it how to help us :(
I have try to adjust the column in different positions, did not help :( the sound can be heard somewhere from the steering wheel/column part.
Any idea what could be the problem pls? Does someone have the same bad experience? Should I go back to the dealer let them try to fix it again?
Otherwise we like the car, just this terrible sound is annoying...

schmieg 11-12-2017 09:40 PM

There is a device under the steering wheel called a clock spring which allows the wheel to turn and still transmit signals from the steering wheel control buttons to the installed systems. There are usually a couple of wires attached to this to pass the signals. It could be that those wires are misplaced and dragging on the wheel as it turns or that the clock spring itself is loose or improperly mounted. I would have them check that as a starting point.

andromeda 11-12-2017 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 164961)
There is a device under the steering wheel called a clock spring which allows the wheel to turn and still transmit signals from the steering wheel control buttons to the installed systems. There are usually a couple of wires attached to this to pass the signals. It could be that those wires are misplaced and dragging on the wheel as it turns or that the clock spring itself is loose or improperly mounted. I would have them check that as a starting point.

Thank you for your idea. I need to see the dealer tomorrow for sure. We drive many miles in the city today. The noise we hear very very often, mostly when I need change the lane. Turn the steering wheel slightly left, then slowly move it back to the strait position and that`s when it makes that sound, when the st.wheel move back to normal position. Terrible creaking sound! Even waiting on red signal, just test the st.wheel move it left/right there was that noise too. Not always, but many times. It is annoying to hear it even the radio is on and the noise is not nice :(

schmieg 11-12-2017 11:02 PM

Good luck. Those noises are irritating and even moreso with a new vehicle.

andromeda 11-13-2017 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 164963)
Good luck. Those noises are irritating and even moreso with a new vehicle.

I was told today that they checked clock spring it was good. Actually they said they could not duplicate the problem. Anyway, we can hear it many times a day. I will take a test drive with their mechanic tomorrow. Hope the car will cooperate and will make the noise again and again.

andromeda 11-16-2017 08:24 PM

Hi Schmieg!

Did a road test with a mechanic. I was "lucky" as it makes that squeaky sound on the 2nd turn. He could hear it in the cabin, coming from top of the steering wheel, anyway, he described the noise as very slight. I can say, it is squeaky noise for sure, pretty irritating. He told me it looks like clock spring is defected. Will be replaced and I`ll test again if this is the cause.
THANK YOU!
The squeaky noise is very irritating even cannot be heard every time I turn the steering wheel, anyway, many many times a day, also waiting on the red signal at the intersection and just "playing" with the steering wheel left/right - it`s there squeaky noise!. Cannot accept new car in this condition. Terrible. Why not always? Could be related to temperature, humidity etc. - he added.