Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Noise under steering wheel from my brand new CX5

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM

Great! Let us know if that solves the problem.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 PM
Default Squeaky noise under the steering wheel

Originally Posted by schmieg
Great! Let us know if that solves the problem.
Hi Schmieg,
I am sorry for a late reply. Here`s the update:

The dealer replaced the clock spring. It was fine (I was happy) with NO squeaky noise for like a Month, when it started exactly the same problem again with the same frequency (many times a day) just totally randomly. I have no idea when it does occur. The same, it`s when I slightly turning the steering wheel left/right a bit. It does make that Squeaky noise even the car does not move (not always). I can hear it no matter day/night, warm/cold outside... Visited it after Christmas and was told they will order that part again. They were busy before NYE and I was out of town then. So just today the dealer replaced clock spring 2nd time. Still they have the car to test it. The problem is it does not occur at every turn, means few miles may not be enough to verify. I am not sure about the clock spring would be the issue only. Really, both 2 parts found faulty?... you know. It must be still something else...
The thing is I have driven many cars old/new Never ever heard about such an issue like the steering wheel could make Squeaky noise... Unfortunately it does and irritates me, the service is not sure about the cause.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by andromeda
Hi Schmieg,
I am sorry for a late reply. Here`s the update:

The dealer replaced the clock spring. It was fine (I was happy) with NO squeaky noise for like a Month, when it started exactly the same problem again with the same frequency (many times a day) just totally randomly. I have no idea when it does occur. The same, it`s when I slightly turning the steering wheel left/right a bit. It does make that Squeaky noise even the car does not move (not always). I can hear it no matter day/night, warm/cold outside... Visited it after Christmas and was told they will order that part again. They were busy before NYE and I was out of town then. So just today the dealer replaced clock spring 2nd time. Still they have the car to test it. The problem is it does not occur at every turn, means few miles may not be enough to verify. I am not sure about the clock spring would be the issue only. Really, both 2 parts found faulty?... you know. It must be still something else...
The thing is I have driven many cars old/new Never ever heard about such an issue like the steering wheel could make Squeaky noise... Unfortunately it does and irritates me, the service is not sure about the cause.
That is strange. I have had that issue occur on older cars that didn't have all the steeriing wheel control stuff, but it was almost always something obvious (a part or wire rubbing or something similar). On the newer cars, the clock spring is the normal culprit, but it could be something else in the steering column tunnel or something that needs lubing.

Please keep us informed.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
That is strange. I have had that issue occur on older cars that didn't have all the steeriing wheel control stuff, but it was almost always something obvious (a part or wire rubbing or something similar). On the newer cars, the clock spring is the normal culprit, but it could be something else in the steering column tunnel or something that needs lubing.

Please keep us informed.
I will get my car back tomorrow. I will test it for day(s) see if it helped or the issue still persists.
Schmieg, Thank you for your comments and sharing your ideas. Appreciate!

Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 PM

I will get my car back tomorrow. I will test it for day(s) see if it helped or the issue still persists.
Schmieg, Thank you for your comments and sharing your ideas. Appreciate!
Just wish I could be of more help.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 PM

yes, actually this model is fully loaded means that the steering wheel has all the control stuff on it.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:24 PM

I have one month old CX-5 fully loaded with exactly the same issue. it started making the squeaky noise after a week and getting worse. it only happens when I drive very slowly and make a slight turn. Has it been fixed for your car now?

Old 01-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Right, exactly as my case. It started just after a week I have got it.

Back to yours Q: They did it 2 times. The first one was good for a month. Now the 2nd one has its 3rd week. Let`s see how long does it last for.. cross the fingers!
btw. the dealer said there is none such a case in whole database. This is the first case... Really?

Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 PM

Right, exactly as my case. It started just after a week I have got it.

Back to yours Q: They did it 2 times. The first one was good for a month. Now the 2nd one has its 3rd week. Let`s see how long does it last for.. cross the fingers!
btw. the dealer said there is none such a case in whole database. This is the first case... Really?
So you got your clock spring replaced twice and so far there has been no issue for three weeks. Hope it will solve the problem for good!

Unfortunately, I couldn't replicate the noise at my visit to the dealer and was told the same; He cannot do much as there is no such case in database.

I will appreciate if you can provide updates on whether noise comes back as I am planning to visit my dealer again in 2-3 weeks. Cheers!

Old 02-01-2018, 10:26 PM

That`s correct. Thank you. Will keep you posted.

If there is other dealer in your town you may visit and ask to take a test drive with a technician. Hope you can duplicate at some point. Drive as much as needed `till you both can hear it.
I know it can be very frustrating as they might be like "What do you talk about?" as they cannot hear it ... anyway, you can many times a day, right. Just the car seems like does not cooperate at the time while in service, unfortunately. The problem is that it occurs randomly, you never know the exact time, the situation. They close the case, anyway the problem is still yours. This was my bad experience at the first dealer.
Never had such a problem with any car so far... no matter old/ new.
I do not understand how could be the same part defective twice...

Quick Reply: Noise under steering wheel from my brand new CX5