Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   New Owner - Telescopic steering and Elbow rest (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/new-owner-telescopic-steering-elbow-rest-47852/)

Fault Finding guy 08-02-2021 09:55 AM

New Owner - Telescopic steering and Elbow rest

I recently purchased a new 2021 cx-5 CE turbo. I find the car is not so comfortable. I am 5'11". When I move my seats back acc to my leg comfort, I have to stretch my arms a lot. The telescopic steering doesn't stretch to what I want. Also, my left hand elbow placement is not comfortable (left hand drive). It's too far from my seats (I am thin).

What did you all do?
Is there any fix for this?

Please help, I am starting to regret buying this car :( :(

ACSCX5 08-02-2021 04:29 PM

At 6’ tall, I am having the same experience, although I don’t regret buying this car at all. If the steering wheel telescoped aft a little bit more and the arm rests were just a little more forward and higher, I could anchor my elbows. With 4000 miles on my 2021 CX-5 GTR, what I find that I am doing is gripping the wheel at 10 and 2 and just letting my arms hang. I suppose this is the “proper” hand position, it’s a good active driving position but it can get fatiguing after while. My “resting” position is thumbs and fingertips at 5 and 7 which allows my elbows to reach the armrests.

Now I’m curious what others are experiencing. Thanks for asking the question!

I will say that I love this car and have enjoyed every one of the 4000 miles I have put on it so far.

chickdr19 08-04-2021 08:23 AM

That is a tough one. Ergonomics are hard to correct. I fond the seats are not as comfortable as I would expect but I knew this coming in from my 19. I just have to live with that as the rest of the car is so good.

Fault Finding guy 08-04-2021 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ACSCX5 (Post 197038)
At 6’ tall, I am having the same experience, although I don’t regret buying this car at all. If the steering wheel telescoped aft a little bit more and the arm rests were just a little more forward and higher, I could anchor my elbows. With 4000 miles on my 2021 CX-5 GTR, what I find that I am doing is gripping the wheel at 10 and 2 and just letting my arms hang. I suppose this is the “proper” hand position, it’s a good active driving position but it can get fatiguing after while. My “resting” position is thumbs and fingertips at 5 and 7 which allows my elbows to reach the armrests.

Now I’m curious what others are experiencing. Thanks for asking the question!

I will say that I love this car and have enjoyed every one of the 4000 miles I have put on it so far.

you're welcome! I agree with you. I rarely do the 10 and 2, most of the times its 5 and 7 but even then I cant rest my elbow comfortably. I switch my hand back and forth and never felt like I got in the car and immediately feel comfortable. I adjust my seats every other trying to find the most comfortable position. its so hard to complain about such a nice car but comfort is really important for everyday driving. Sorry for venting

Fault Finding guy 08-04-2021 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19 (Post 197075)
That is a tough one. Ergonomics are hard to correct. I fond the seats are not as comfortable as I would expect but I knew this coming in from my 19. I just have to live with that as the rest of the car is so good.

Yeah I am falling in love with everything else day by day. I am going to try to find a fix for this issue because of this 1 aspect, i am not able to see 99 other good things on this car.
What made you buy almost same car again? What did you compare against?

Zingowner 08-04-2021 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19 (Post 197075)

If the seats aren't comfortable for you, a good auto upholstery shop can fix them for you. We've done this on several cars to good effect. Just a thought...

hduong 08-04-2021 10:14 PM

I'm 5' 8.5" and find the center armrest site too far back to be usable. The telescoping steering wheel is fine though.

GrahamJ 08-06-2021 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Fault Finding guy (Post 197025)
I recently purchased a new 2021 cx-5 CE turbo. I find the car is not so comfortable. I am 5'11". When I move my seats back acc to my leg comfort, I have to stretch my arms a lot. The telescopic steering doesn't stretch to what I want. Also, my left hand elbow placement is not comfortable (left hand drive). It's too far from my seats (I am thin).

What did you all do?

I'm still waiting for my car to be delivered but in 2 test drives I noticed the steering wheel needs extra adjustment toward me.
I'm moving from a Mercedes GLC so I expect to do a bit of adjusting - I expect we all need to adjust patiently. I'm 6'3" so moved my seat a little forward.
I then noticed the outside mirror needs to be more forward so one doesn't have to look so far sideways.
I'm sure I'll adjust. I like the CX5 a lot - especially the safety gadgets!

mazda_nc_dude 08-10-2021 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fault Finding guy (Post 197025)

What did you all do?

Elbow rest is a bit small and unfortunately does not extend forward (like I do have in my VW Golf), but other than that I do not have any issue with the telescopic steering.

nightbird7 08-10-2021 06:01 PM

Would adding a seat cushion possibly help your ergonomics?