Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New owner of 2016.5 CX-5 Touring - questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Default New owner of 2016.5 CX-5 Touring - questions

Hi everyone, I just leased a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring last saturday (in white!) and am quite enjoying it. The only thing I am wondering about is the ride can feel buttery smooth at 60mph on a good road, but anything less than a good road and its a pretty bumpy ride at any speed. Is this normal? I know the suspension is a little more stiff in this vehicle, but its more bumpy than I would imagine.

Secondly, has anyone updated their navigation maps yet?

Oh one more thing, its been 17 years since I had a new car, and instead of randomly spraying armor all at the dash and wiping, whats the best way to clean the inside interior? I got some microfiber cloths and some meguires quick detailer spray. I was planning on spraying on the cloth and then wiping the dash, doors etc. How do you clean your interior?

Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Default Interior

A professional detailer I know advised against Armorall. He recommended a product called Lexol, which I always use for leather and vinyl surfaces.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:38 AM

Forget Armorall!

303 Aerospace Protectant is the stuff you want to use. It's more expensive but well worth it.

I haven't updated my Nav maps yet but I'm about to. What is it you want to know?

I can't help you with your bumpy ride, sorry. I have a 2016.5 Grand Touring and the ride is quite nice.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM

The ride thing is normal. You've spent the better part of two decades in a vehicle with a tired suspension. SUV/CUV suspensions, in general, are stiffer than sedans. Mazdas are some of the stiffest. It's the price you pay for better handling.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:45 PM

Double check that Meguiars Quick Detailer. The only quick detailer I know of from them is a wax/lubricant spray meant for shining up the exterior between washings or for use in claybaring. I wouldn't use that on the interior.

Pick up something like PERL from Autogeek or some other retailer. You dilute for different uses so it last a long time. I have a bottle that's going on two years now and I'm a detailing fanatic.

I'd recommend something from a local box store like Walmart but I honestly have no idea what their selection is like these days. Last time I looked I just saw a lot of Armorall crap.

Good call on the microfiber towel though. I love a good microfiber!

Edit: Stopped in Walmart today and saw they now sell a few varieties of Meguiars. I saw the Quick Interior Detailer. Good to know! I'm glad to see some good products finally on their shelf.

Last edited by Mazcx5; 03-06-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 AM

I find Armor all way too glossy. I use Griot's Garage vinyl and rubber dressing. It does a nice job and doesn't add gloss to the vinyl on the dash and doors. Some car parts stores have it, or you can order it from their web site.

Old 02-27-2017, 11:44 AM

Hi guys, im actually getting used to the ride on the CX-5. Or maybe my seat is getting broken in? Anyway, the spray I have is Meguires Interior Detailer, I didnt mention the interior before. I bought a big pack of microfiber towels for interior cleaning, but when I spray the towel with the meguires, the towel seems to grab the surface of the dashboard. Anyone else have this issue?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by husker3in4
Oh one more thing, its been 17 years since I had a new car, and instead of randomly spraying armor all at the dash and wiping, whats the best way to clean the inside interior? I got some microfiber cloths and some meguires quick detailer spray. I was planning on spraying on the cloth and then wiping the dash, doors etc. How do you clean your interior?
Best way to clean the dash is with a damp chamois. Avoids all the chemicals and still leaves you dash with a matte" finish. Your dash never gets "dirty" but rather just dusty.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Default stiff ride-check tire pressure

We just bought a CX5. We did test drives at several different dealers and one thing I noticed each time was the stiff ride. The wife loved the thing so I thought I'd get used to it. On a Saturday morning recently I decided to check the air pressure after the car sat overnight. I was surprised to find the air pressure in all 4 tires was 47psi. The recommendation is 36. I dropped the air in each tire to 36 and the ride improved a lot. I think the tires were pumped up this way to make the sidewalls stiffer. This would have helped when they were locked down during shipping to the US. if you haven't checked the tire pressure (cold) you might want to try that.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by creek rat
We just bought a CX5. We did test drives at several different dealers and one thing I noticed each time was the stiff ride. The wife loved the thing so I thought I'd get used to it. On a Saturday morning recently I decided to check the air pressure after the car sat overnight. I was surprised to find the air pressure in all 4 tires was 47psi. The recommendation is 36. I dropped the air in each tire to 36 and the ride improved a lot. I think the tires were pumped up this way to make the sidewalls stiffer. This would have helped when they were locked down during shipping to the US. if you haven't checked the tire pressure (cold) you might want to try that.
Funny, I have a 2016.0 CX-5 and door sticker says all tires should be inflated to 34 psi. I usually keep a pound over so I guess I'm OK. The extra pound makes a difference in handling as less understeer now. Next time maybe I'll go with 36.

BTW, my tires were well overinflated when car was delivered.

Quick Reply: New owner of 2016.5 CX-5 Touring - questions