Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to Mazda; about to buy a CX-5. Concerns/tips??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Default new to Mazda; about to buy a CX-5. Concerns/tips??

Guess subject says most of it. Came here because we need a new or newer vehicle and during a large Spokane, WA., Auto Show, found ourselves drawn to the Mazda line. Have no experience with them and our current newest vehicle is a 2000 Cherokee, (which we've loved). So we are dumb regarding current automotive technology and offerings. Oh, ... and we're retired so this might be our last vehicle if it will last.
So........We drove a CX-5 and a CX-9 today. The 5 is almost large enough; seems zippy enough without the turbo. The 9 is more comfortable and with the turbo is certainly quick enough. But it is likely beyond our budget. In years past, turbos were considered a good way to force more fuel into the cylinders but at the price of 30% more complexity, 30% more maintenance and 30% shorter life for the engine.
I think all that is better now, but we have no experience.
Can any of you comment on Mazda's engine/trans durability? Value comparisons to RAV-4 or Honda CR-V? We cannot find a domestic brand that attracts us at this point. We live where 4WD is desirable. SUV's are a LOT easier for us to slide into, (no, "curb height," entry required). That alone is a big draw for SUV's.
Still learning this forum. I'll do search and new member reading first.
Anything to watch out for in our selection of, likely, the CX-5 model????
Thanks in advance for comments,
Dennis in E WA state

Old 03-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Dennis,

I purchased a new 2018 CX5 GT (without the technology package) in early March 2019. I chose the 2018 because between the Mazda rebates and the dealer discount it was pretty attractive financially compared to buying a 2019 model. In addition, the 2019 GT models now all come with the technology package (e.g. cruise radar, etc.) as standard features and they were something that I really didn't want or need. I did look at the 2019 Honda CRV EXL however, the continuing issue with their turbo engine (oil dilution) and a lack of a workable fix sent back to the Mazda CX5. Besides the CX5 drives and handle much better and IMO is better looking also.

Wade

Old 03-30-2019, 05:20 PM

Thanks, Zig:
So you've only had yours for less than a month.... I think we might be too late for many deals on 2018's. We just began looking after winter freeze let up about 2 weeks ago. We're still trying to absorb the options/trim levels. So you got the Grand Touring which has the NA engine. Next level up, GT Reserve comes with the turbo. I can't decide about the turbo. The GT Reserve has the last couple options my wife wants, but I wonder if one is forced to have the turbo. We have not yet driven the turbo in the CX-5. Did with the CFX-9, and it has pretty good spirit even packing around 700 pounds more weight. Just not convinced we need the cost/mpg/complexity of the turbo in the smaller CX.
I wonder how well the turbos hold up......

Old 04-01-2019, 09:04 AM

No concerns here. We bought a new 2018 AWD, loved version in September. We have almost 15K miles on it so far. Wife loves it, and on occasion I get to drive it. Thanks goodness for the seat position switches. Maintenance has been oil changes, with some air/cabin filters coming at 15k. Tirse rotated every 5k. I was surprised to see how the Toyo's are wearing. Maybe it's the Puget Sound poor road conditions. I'm estimating they will be done at 35-40k tops. Interior fit/finish is great. Holding up to 2 kids and a dog quite well. Did the CarPlay update at the dealer after purchase when this was available. Yeah....$400, but having your iPhone built in to your dash is great. Siri works great for hands free, incl reading/composing email and text messages. I understand this to be standard on 2019 models, so if you're finding a 2018 fits the bill, negotiate a bit on the costs for upgrading to CarPlay (or Android Auto if that floats your boat). I've been a Mazda guy over the last decade with some Miata toys, yet this was the first real new Mazda vehicle purchase, and she's pleased. Not much more to say. Now the 2014 C-Max is my commuter car since she's moved up.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:30 PM

I’m west of the mountains from you. We’ve had our 2017 CX5 for about a year and a half now. Absolutely no problems. I change my own oil. Granted, this is not the turbo version of the 2.5 but everything else is similar.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:49 AM

I've had both an MX-5, a 1995 and a CX-5, 2016.5. Both are fine cars for long trips. I've done Ohio to Colorado in each. Top down in the Rockies was wonderful. Since this is a CX-5 forum, I have 65,000 miles on my CX-5,and it's been trouble free. A nice handling small SUV that can really eat up the miles in comfort.
(And unlike the MX-5, semi trucks aren't as scary as when you are no longer eye level to their lug nuts.)

Old 04-02-2019, 10:05 PM

I appreciate everyone's input. We're encouraged about getting a new CX-5. Moving money around now, but expect to try to strike a deal later this month. Was thinking of taking the Costco Auto Buyer's sheet in.....have no experience with trying to buy in that manner. Outside of that, not sure this is the best time of year to buy a new car. Hopefully, this will be our last car purchase. Along with a CX-5, we'll run out our beloved 2000 Cherokee and our 1989 Volvo 244, (with 195K on the clock). Should do us.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chris!
I never had a problem with the MX-5 either, I put around 40,000 miles on it, it had 15,000 when I bought it.
My 2013 MX5 is my second one (had a 97 NA before that). Never had any problems beyond normal maintenance on them and the CX5 is the same way. My son-in-law has a 2007 Mazda 3 with about 190,000 on it and it is running like a champ as well. The Mazdas are pretty dependable vehicles.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by MyVehicle
Hi, In fact I have not any solid experience with Mazda, but I want to lease it to cross miles. How's the long rides with Mazda MX-5. Kindly tell me what should be ideal lease delas for 2018 Mazda MX-5. I want to lease this vehicle from DSR Leasing site. Lease quote is here. Is it appropriate? Please guide me. Much thanks.
Go without any hesitation and fear, Kelley did an outstanding job on my new Mazda 6 gt....very easy process as this is my 2nd lease from DSR...highly recommend these guys, the fee is well worth. Highly recommend referring using DSR Leasing if you want to cut out all the leg work and find peace of mind, getting the lowest cost possible.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Well, I agree with BFrost, DSR leasing is highly recommended, I also lease a Mazda from this site and they are very cooperative with me.

Quick Reply: new to Mazda; about to buy a CX-5. Concerns/tips??