Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New 2018 CX-5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Default New 2018 CX-5 owner

Just picked up a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD for my wife. We are transitioning from a VW Tiguan which was a very good car but had lately some reliability issues. Looking forward to being a member of and participating in this forum.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:49 AM

I have a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. It's been very dependable and handles so nice. I think you'll be happy.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:50 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum. I just joined not to long ago myself. Seems that windshields and paint easily chips have been some complaints. Otherwise seems like a dependable vehicle. My wife loves hers. Same as yours except its a 17. Was there many changes to the 18s

Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by edgarrain
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I just joined not to long ago myself. Seems that windshields and paint easily chips have been some complaints. Otherwise seems like a dependable vehicle. My wife loves hers. Same as yours except its a 17. Was there many changes to the 18s
Thanks. I think the main change with respect to the 17s is the cylinder de-activation system which should help with mpg. I do not know by how much though. I will keep an eye on the windshield and the paint.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Chris!
I have a 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. It's been very dependable and handles so nice. I think you'll be happy.
Thanks. Yes, I am really impressed by the handling. No body lean at all and handles like a small hatchback., I forget that I am driving an SUV. Also sound insulation is really good, very quiet. So far we are happy with the purchase. Fingers crossed on the reliability.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Welcome. We tried the Mazda CX-5, VW Tiguan, RAV4, kia sportage, and many more SUV in the skoda and VW line up before settling down to Mazda CX-5, 2017. It was by far the best and most refined.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
Just picked up a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD for my wife. We are transitioning from a VW Tiguan which was a very good car but had lately some reliability issues. Looking forward to being a member of and participating in this forum.
We made a similar change; ours was from a 2012 GTI 6-Speed to a 2016 Mazda3 s GT 5-Door 6-Speed. Why? The GTI was a blast to drive, but three nearly $2,000 repairs in the first 50,000 miles was enough to get us to trade it in.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:12 PM

We own a '17 GT loaded, traded a '14 Touring in for it. My opinion, the '14 handled a bit better as it seems to be lighter as our '14 had much less options compared to our '17. the '14 was also not as wide as the '17 allowing for wider front and rear seats, adding more weight. Don't let me mislead you, we (my wife ) love ours, very comfortable and lots of conveniences, but at the sacrifice of some handling... but after all, it's not a race car now is it?...

Old 01-31-2018, 12:57 PM

We test drove a titanium edge and escape, Sante Fe Sport and Tuscon, and the CX-5 The escape felt really cheap with lots of road noise. The edge was a much better ride and my wife really liked it. Infact she was somewhat ready to purchase. I had done to much research to not test drive the little list I created. Sante Fe sport was Ok and the Tuscon was a good drive but she still liked the Edge. Then she drove the CX-5. She loved it after about 5 minutes of driving it. We are basically a ford family but as of late we purchased the mazda and I bought a 14 tundra a few years ago.

Still have my wife's fusion which our kid will drive this year and my 07 mustang gt which is my baby. Its got a built motor, supercharger, torque convertor, gear swap, suspension goodies and basically everything you need for a great 10 second strip car.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 AM

I would venture to say that the edge and CX-5 share the same platform, but I can't swear to it. 10 secs is not bad at all... I read on a box that adding a particular CAI will knock off 2 secs of your 1/4 mile time(sarcasm)...

Any pics of the Mustang?

Quick Reply: New 2018 CX-5 owner