Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

New 2017 CX-5 Steering wheel makes weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Exclamation New 2017 CX-5 Steering wheel makes weird noise

Since Sept. 1st have got Mazda CX-5 2017. A week later it starts making a weird noise when I turn the steering wheel (left/right) slightly, not much for example when changing lane smoothly. It does many times, however not always. The sound is annoying, it`s like a old door, or cat I took the car to the Mazda dealer, they said they cannot duplicate the issue. As I said it does NOT happen always. Randomly. Many times, anyway. I spoke to the manager, he took it for a test drive with me. The car did not co-operate at that time as we drove different routes for like 40min and it happened just 2 times. Normally at the area where I live happens much more often! Anyway, they had car for almost 2 weeks. I was told they check all they could called even manufacturer for help as they heard the noise, could duplicate the issue anyway had no idea where it comes from. They said it does not make that weird sound for last 2 days and gave it back to me for a test. It was good for 1 day only, it does make that weird "old door or cat" sound again. That`s terrible as it is brand new car! ... but sounds like a pretty old one! I do not know what to do now as the dealer does not know either how to fix it how to help us
I have try to adjust the column in different positions, did not help the sound can be heard somewhere from the steering wheel/column part.
Any idea what could be the problem pls? Does someone have the same bad experience? Should I go back to the dealer let them try to fix it again?
Otherwise we like the car, just this terrible sound is annoying... feels like driving a old car instead...

Old 11-15-2017, 11:03 AM

I have the SAME sound when turning the steering wheel of my 2 month old CX-5. Well, mine is more like a mouse squeel or squeak. It happens often but not all the time. It does bug me, but I am happy with it since its better than the 3 defective rack & pinions I had to replace under warranty on my 2015 Mazda 6.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM

Did a road test with a mechanic. I was "lucky" as it makes that squeaky sound on the 2nd turn. He could hear it in the cabin, coming from top of the steering wheel. Said it looks like clock spring is defected. Will be replaced and I`ll test again if it is the cause.
Thank you.
The squeaky noise is very irritating even cannot be heard every time I turn the steering wheel, anyway, many many times a day, also waiting on the red signal at the intersection and just "playing" with the steering wheel left/right - it`s there squeaky noise!. Cannot accept new car in this condition. Terrible. Why not always? Could be related to temperature, humidity etc.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 PM

I am experiencing the same probem now. Was it resolved? If so, how? Thanks.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 PM

I am experiencing the same probem now. Was it resolved? If so, how? Thanks.