Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Navigation on 2020 Grand Touring Reserve? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/navigation-2020-grand-touring-reserve-44136/)

Mainiak 06-18-2020 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Guidogdh (Post 184400)
I bought the SD card on Amazon for $50 for my 2020 CX-5. It works perfectly. Make sure it is the “K” SD chip. My navigation not only works but so does sign recognition and speed limit show up on HUD and speedo. Lot cheaper than $400 option at the dealer!

Could you post the part number on the SD card please? Not 100% sure what you mean by a K chip.

Thanks!

Guidogdh 06-18-2020 10:38 PM

The SD card for 2020 CX-5 isBHP1- 66 EZ1K. It can’t be an earlier SD version. Amazon still has 9 left

Bird-Dog 06-30-2020 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Guidogdh (Post 184400)
I bought the SD card on Amazon for $50 for my 2020 CX-5. It works perfectly. Make sure it is the “K” SD chip. My navigation not only works but so does sign recognition and speed limit show up on HUD and speedo. Lot cheaper than $400 option at the dealer!

Thank you for the tip. I ordered one through Amazon (USD $48) that's due to arrive tomorrow for my wife's new 2020 CX-5 GTR. Saving a few bucks on eBay wasn't worth the risk or the hassle of trying to return if it didn't work.

I especially wanted it for the HUD features, but also because my wife is used to on-board Mazda Nav from her previous 2017 CX-5 Touring she's been driving for three years. I'm sure the Nav apps available though CarPlay are dandy, but I don't see her bothering to overcome her fear of the learning curve - however small it might be - if she doesn't have to. BTW, I also noticed someone on the forum mentioned that in addition to speed limit info on the HUD it's supposed to light up a marker on the speedo.

I was talking to the sales rep at Mazda about this when we picked up the new GTR a few days ago and he was somewhat surprised that we could find the SD card for under $50. He said the dealership is billed out at $360 by Mazda, only making $40 profit at the $400 going rate as a dealer add-on. We both agreed that's crazy! At a more realistic billing rate it would be a great sales tool for them to be able to throw in as a freebie to help close a sale. Are you listening Mazda?

Mainiak 07-01-2020 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Guidogdh (Post 184410)
The SD card for 2020 CX-5 isBHP1- 66 EZ1K. It can’t be an earlier SD version. Amazon still has 9 left

Thanks for the help! Received the SD card and it worked flawlessly.

Bird-Dog 07-01-2020 12:13 PM

Mine just arrived too (ordered on Amazon). A snap to install... took all of 10 seconds and GTG.

Interestingly, it came from J.C. Whitney (for those not familiar, that's an aftermarket auto accessories firm that's been around for decades and decades) and in sealed Mazda packaging. So totally legit; not a bootleg or any such finagling.

Guidogdh 07-01-2020 02:08 PM

Pretty damn slick, huh? There was some talk of it not working on the 2020 due to some software changes in the system. Mine works fantastic! Very pleased with this upgrade. I was not prepared for all the new functionality on the dash and navigation systems. I love it!

Bird-Dog 07-01-2020 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Guidogdh (Post 184930)
Pretty damn slick, huh? There was some talk of it not working on the 2020 due to some software changes in the system. Mine works fantastic! Very pleased with this upgrade. I was not prepared for all the new functionality on the dash and navigation systems. I love it!

Yep! I can't think of one reason not to add it. Even if you're using WAZE or such through CarPlay, the added HUD features are worth it. And, in fact, I understand Nav turn directions show up on the HUD too (haven't tried that yet). So it would seem using the on-board Nav has it's advantages anyway.

Guidogdh 07-01-2020 02:34 PM

Yes everything shows up. You will see a red line on the speedo for the speed limit for the road. The speed limit shows in HUD and in the main screen. Navigation arrows show up in HUD too. Best $50 I ever spent!

Litehiker 07-01-2020 04:56 PM

I'm considering hiring an interpreter for my GT Reserve's "Navigation Manual". That MAZDA would saddle us with a nav system that requires such a lengthly manual does not speak well for the software used to "navigate the navigation".

Plus the "illustrations" of icons are of crappy quality as well. MAZDA is trying hard to gives us a luxury SUV without luxury price but this nav system does suck.

Eric B.
BTW, what's all this about BUYING a nav SD card? My 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve came with one installed. I'd never take delivery if the nav was not operating. Maybe my dealer, Findlay MAZDA felt it was worth it oi keep customers happy. Here in the Las Vegas valley Findlay auto dealerships are the most trusted and deservedly so, they are very honest.

Mainiak 07-01-2020 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Litehiker (Post 184936)
I'd never take delivery if the nav was not operating. Maybe my dealer, Findlay MAZDA felt it was worth it oi keep customers happy. Here in the Las Vegas valley Findlay auto dealerships are the most trusted and deservedly so, they are very honest.

I am very sure you paid for it, somehow. LOL! Dealers do deal, often using sleight of hand.