Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Intake anyone ?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:19 PM
Default Intake anyone ?

Anyone using a short ram like JBR or Corksport ?

Old 10-16-2018, 06:17 PM

what would be the advantage ?

Old 10-16-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by BIGDOC
Anyone using a short ram like JBR or Corksport ?
Originally Posted by Arkainzeye
what would be the advantage ?
​​​​​​​Extra noise, that's about it.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 AM

thats what i thought since these are small engines that are already tuned very well for their size. the only way it would give more power is if the (air pump) was inefficient. even then .. if the fuel injector "fuel map" is NOT capable of adding more fuel beyond the E.P.A. regulations set forth in the software, then there is no real benefit..

in my past on motorcycles any time i ever added a free'r flowing air filter, the motorcycles ive owned were unable to adjust for the increase in fuel .... there were of course fuel injected motorcycles with wide band sensors.. i would then have to purchase a fuel controller and alter the air/fuel ratio myself or like other bikes i had in the past, have it dyno tuned.. in every single case.. the stock ECU was UNABLE to adjust for increased air beyond what it was designed for, there for causing the engine to run lean..

Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Cannot speak for motorcycles, but for cars the OBC uses the weight of the intake charge (via the MAP and/or MAF sensors) and adjusts the fuel flow accordingly. Given it is reasonable to expect a modern car to operate at density altitudes as high as 14,000' and as low as -2,000', the OBC can easily adjust for those extremes. That said, the intakes and exhausts for modern engines are extremely well tuned, of course, the tuning is typically targeted toward mid-range torque. Many (most, all?) aftermarket bolt ons exchange that tuning for the upper end. Said another way, an intake may well improve power by a few HP up at redline at WOT, but by the same token, mid-range torque will typically drop by a commensurate amount.

Old 10-21-2018, 01:19 PM

That's true to only a certain point, for instance if the cars parameters are set for certain altitude as well as air temperature it's not going to put more fuel just because an air filter is letting in more air . . let's also not be confused with how much air it actually let​s in we talkin barely a measurable as far as a dyno would be concerned.

​​​​​​The modern day fuel injection systems are Not wide band to a endless adjustment range.. the range to which a E.P.A. regulated fuel injection systems can adjust too is sololy based on federal laws as well as the manufacturers set parameters .. so while it can adjust to 14000 feet and so on .. also not you won't get the same performance at 14000 feet as you would at sea level . ( Of course ) .

If you are bored Google or YouTube how in many cases people have lost performance in stock applications.. on NON-performance based cars . Then like mentioned earlier the increase of dirt into the intake track and down into the engine . And then . If you look at the sctusl cost of a oem Mazda filter are they really cheap !! And have a great life span. So it would take a extreme amount of mileage to break even , yet alone save money by using a k&n "stock replacement " air filter ... I used to buy them for every car I had until I did some heavy research and had a engine related issues

Old 10-21-2018, 02:38 PM

Nope, not interested as I've been living and breathing this stuff (professionally) for decades now.