Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Hyperactive Sat Nav (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/hyperactive-sat-nav-30370/)

DavyB 10-31-2012 01:22 AM

Hyperactive Sat Nav

Has anyone in Australia with a new CX5 had the experence with an Hyperactive Sat Nav? Mine jumps around, turns right angles and does circles even while standing still. Very confused. Dealer suggests satellite problems.

hrrm 11-02-2012 01:53 PM

sounds like poor reception, maybe the antenna is loose/blocked/disconnected. do you experience this with the car having a clear view to the sky? no trees or tall buildings around? if it still happens (with another dealer's car doesn't do this) then you know its not satellite problem but a problem on the car itself.

DavyB 11-02-2012 07:17 PM

The problen occurres any where at any time. Thanks for the imput.

paris1 11-03-2012 03:22 PM

Tom Tom Nav poll

Here's a link to a poll dealing with satnav issues from another CX-5 forum. Apparently there are a lot of owners who are less than satisfied with the unit.POLL: Are you happy with the factory installed TomTom Navigation Unit?

HandA 11-13-2012 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by DavyB (Post 132652)
Has anyone in Australia with a new CX5 had the experence with an Hyperactive Sat Nav? Mine jumps around, turns right angles and does circles even while standing still. Very confused. Dealer suggests satellite problems.

I can't imagine it being satellite problems as Airplanes weren't crashing into mountains at the same time you were seeing problems.

And all the satellites send out is a very precise time code. The greater the distance from the satellite the longer the signal with the time takes to get to the Nav unit. The nav unit then looks at the time that was sent on the multiple different satellite signals that it receives at once to figure out how far away from each satellite it is. With those distances it is able to figure your location.
All that long winded reply above is saying is that it may be a problem with the Nav unit receiving and or processing the signal from the satellites but it definitely isn't a problem with the satellites themselves.

Trevor

DavyB 11-14-2012 02:45 AM

Thanks for your imput Trev. I was going to reply to my own thread this very evening and mention that the earlier problem has unexpectidly vanished over the last 2 days, with the unit working like it should. This in itself leads me to think the problem was/is in the receiving and processing of the signal as you suggested. Dave

hrrm 11-14-2012 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by DavyB (Post 133115)
Thanks for your imput Trev. I was going to reply to my own thread this very evening and mention that the earlier problem has unexpectidly vanished over the last 2 days, with the unit working like it should. This in itself leads me to think the problem was/is in the receiving and processing of the signal as you suggested. Dave

loose antenna? bat dropping on antenna? :D whatever else you got in aussie land? what's new since the 2 days?

DavyB 11-15-2012 02:49 AM

Nothing has changed sinse the first post, other that the unit is performing perfectly again. We do have lost of strange and wonderful creatures here in OZ, but nothing that would affect the opperation of our Sat Nav. Dave