Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

How DIY-friendly is CX-5 (and Mazda overall)

Old 04-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Default How DIY-friendly is CX-5 (and Mazda overall)

Hello,
I am not a CX-5 owner but might be soon, because I plan to take the VW TDI (diesel scandal) buyback during 2018, and VW doesn't quite have what I want as a follow-on vehicle. I am attracted to the CX-5 to replace my VW Sportwagen. I also happen to be fair to good at automobile DIY, doing all of my own scheduled maintenance, but also some of the bigger jobs like manual transmission clutch discs, cylinder head replacement, fuel system repairs, and once a complete engine swap.

Here is my point. It is easy to find maintenance howto's for VW, and furthermore it is easy to research and buy OEM VW parts from reputable sellers at surprisingly good prices.The DIY factor is important in any decision I'd make to emigrate from VW loyalty. Can I ask for readers to comment, along those lines, on the Mazda "climate" for the DIY inclined?

Old 04-20-2018, 01:07 PM

You can do all of that if you're so inclined on a CX-5, or any other Mazda for that matter. My 2013 has never darkened the door of a dealer (except for the occasional recall fix) or independent service facility in the 5.5 years I've owned it and I have had zero problems with it. I do all my own service, including regular oil/filter changes, tire rotation and brakes. However, keep in mind that this is a modern vehicle with all the electronic controls requiring computer diagnosis should something go wrong and you're only going to be able to go so far with all that. Unless, of course, you're the kind of shade tree mechanic that reads codes off the OBDII port and just starts replacing parts in the hopes of snagging the one that went bad. Which is insane, but a lot of folks do it! Finally, there are other, more active forums than this that have much more DIy-oriented content. PM me if you are interested in a link to the one I use.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 AM

As paris1 pointed out, document the maintenance you do and you won't harm your warranty. Also, there really isn't much maintenance required with current cars aside from oil changes, filter changes and tire rotation.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 AM

Forgot to mention that there are plenty of Mazda dealers selling OE parts and accessories at discounted prices on the net. Google is your friend!

Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 PM

The CX-5 is about as friendly as any 4 cylinder auto today for DIYers. Room to work in the engine bay is the most important consideration and the CX-5 has adequate room. Changing oil is easy and brakes are easy as well but you have to initiate a maint. mode for the back wheels because of the electric parking brake (search youtube for that)..Most car manufacturers do not recommend changing automatic transmission fluids but I would not go beyond 60,000 miles without changing it and I have not researched how to do that service.
A major consideration for DIYers is vehicle sales numbers and cost. Vehicles with high sales tend to have many and varied aftermarket parts available and lower cost vehicles tend to have more owners doing their own maintenance. and posting associated videos. In plain words, there aren't many aftermarket Bentley fuel injectors advertised for sale or youtube videos showing how owners change their own parts. That said, Toyota and Honda outsell Mazda in the US and are better positioned in that manner. Mazda is more popular outside the US and many maintenance videos originate in those countries.
I disagree with the above comment on computer controlled systems. Many autoparts stores will scan codes for free and internet searches of the codes can pinpoint or at least narrow the search for a problem. The cost to purchase 4 aftermarket coil packs and sparkplugs is in many cases less than having the dealer perform a diagnostic service. And, if they get it wrong and the problem reoccurs, they will just tell you a second problem occurred after the first problem was fixed. Service centers will never rework free of charge unless they are forced to do so.
If you can change out all the possible problem parts at a cost much less than paying the dealer to pinpoint and fix the exact problem why would you use the dealer?