Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Hints, tricks, and what to check on CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/hints-tricks-what-check-cx-5-a-32774/)

CurlyBrian 12-21-2013 07:48 AM

Hints, tricks, and what to check on CX-5

Thought I would start a thread to post what little things people have found that have been helpful. Yes, some are hidden in the owners manual. Please, no griping or problem resolution here.

I'll start it off:
1) When you venture off the route the NB-1 GPS has chosen for you the unit seems to keep trying to get you back to the original route rather than recalculating the quickest route from where you are. So if you stray too far from old route, cancel then reclick the destination under "Recent ...".
2) There are little drain holes under the windshield wipers. They clog easily, so keep them clear.
3) If you turn the dash brightness light knob (same as one you press to reset trip odometer) all the way to the right the GPS unit will stay in day-mode. Helpful in some lighting situations. Not so helpful when you do it accidentally during the day and find you are being blinded at night.
4) On the NB-1 nav GPS unit you can customize the short-cut menu (accessed by hitting the curved arrow on left side). If you set that menu to have only one item it will jump to it without displaying the shortcut menu. I set it to navigate to an spoken address. One click and it asks for the address.
5) You can download new color schemes for the NB-1 GPS display on your PC. Find something that you can easily see. Daytime and nighttime can be set separately.
5) You can reset your dash AVG MPG and AVG MPH by pressing the center of the Info button on the steering wheel when that stat is being displayed on the dash.
6) I've read that Big Lots sells black carpet that matches identically to CX-5 black, some use that in the back instead of buying an expensive mat.
7) Keep multiple USB memory sticks with your music on it. Then insert the stick with the mix you feel like and hit randomize. Like some songs more? Put them on the stick twice, in separate folders.

JonW 12-21-2013 09:00 AM

1) Check your tire pressure after taking delivery. A lot of dealers don't and the tires come off the boat over-inflated to prevent flat spots. Mine were 40PSI - very bouncy...

2) if you're using a USB flash drive for your music you may want to get a short USB extension cable, otherwise the USB drive can interfere with using the center compartment tray, or even closing the lid.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to put a trash bag or receptacle?

dzknmd 12-22-2013 06:48 PM

All good points to consider.:)

I have been trying to read a way to see my individual tire pressures into the owner's manual but have about given up. Maybe it was the Buick I looked at that I saw that feature on.

Also have not been able to find any reference to the small round thingy on the driver's side of the front of the car at the lower corner of the mouth of the grille. I just happened to think, it might be the sensor for the brake assist feature.

JonW 12-23-2013 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by dzknmd (Post 142898)
I have been trying to read a way to see my individual tire pressures into the owner's manual but have about given up..

Open the drivers door and look on the sticker on the door jamb.

paris1 12-23-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by dzknmd (Post 142898)
All good points to consider.:)

I have been trying to read a way to see my individual tire pressures into the owner's manual but have about given up. Maybe it was the Buick I looked at that I saw that feature on.
There is no way to do that on CX-5.

Also have not been able to find any reference to the small round thingy on the driver's side of the front of the car at the lower corner of the mouth of the grille. I just happened to think, it might be the sensor for the brake assist feature.

That's a cover for the tie down bolt hole in the front structure. The bolt is stored with the spare tire and was originally used to tie the car down on board ship. Can be used in a pinch to pull the vehicle up onto a flatbed for transport, but should not be used to tow a disabled vehicle down the road.

CurlyBrian 12-24-2013 09:41 AM

When you press the lock/unlock on the remote the lights blink different. I remember that lock is one syllable so they blink once, and unlock is two syllables so they blink twice. Comes in handy when pressing the remote while still inside pocket.

CurlyBrian 02-10-2014 12:37 PM

If your driver side window loses its auto-up/down function then move the window down all the way and keep holding switch down for 3 seconds, then bring the window up and hold the switch up for 3 seconds. Mine got disabled during service somehow.

tanprotege 02-10-2014 05:02 PM

Nice job CurlyBrian.
you could make this a sticky, similar to the way I made a sticky "the unofficial User's guide to the '95 to '98 Protege". I keep editing the sticky when something new comes up.

CX-SV 02-11-2014 04:05 PM

Some helpful hints here, thanks.

trustyrusty436 02-16-2014 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by CurlyBrian (Post 144258)
If your driver side window loses its auto-up/down function then move the window down all the way and keep holding switch down for 3 seconds, then bring the window up and hold the switch up for 3 seconds. Mine got disabled during service somehow.

Thanks this really works.:D