Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Hid kit problems?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Unhappy Hid kit problems?

I bought my 13 cx5 in March. Immediately ordered an HID kit from DDM Tuning, 35 watt with a slim ballast and a relay harness just in case. Everything was fine at first, but now here we are in June and a few weeks ago my passenger side HID light started to shut off after the car was running for about 10 to 20 minutes. SO I thought, could it be over heating? Googled some stuff that said that the relay harness will fix the problem if it is the stock wiring. Harness was installed and the same problem exists. Switched the bulbs from the passenger to driver side to see if it was the bulb, and it still happens on the passenger side, only other thing could be the ballast itself? DDM tuning has a lifetime warranty and will send you a new ballast if they test that yours is bad after you ship it back to them.

SO I shipped the ballast back and they tell me that it tests back 100% functional. Wtf? I email them and tell them that can't be possible. I tried what they said to trouble shoot, even used the relay harness and the problem is still happening.

Had my boyfriend call the customer service people and they said, maybe i should get the error eliminator. But I thought that was only for error codes popping up on the dash...I don't have any error codes popping up, and I still think it may be over heating because I live in FLORIDA where it's now in the high 90's every day. This problem didn't happen when it was cooler outside in the last few months.

Has anyone experienced anything with HID kits and one side shutting off?

FYI - after letting the light cool for about half an hour, if I shut the headlights OFF - then on again, both lights turn on. But shortly after, the passenger side shuts off again. As though it is over heating.

I don't know what the heck else to do besides buying a new ballast even though DDM is telling me the ballast is working fine. Is there something I can do to stop it from overheating??

Old 10-12-2013, 09:57 PM

Hey there, did you ever figure out what it was? I'm getting ready to order a kit.