Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Engine Seized

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 PM
Default 2016 Engine Seized

So I have a 2016 CX-5 and while driving home I started to hear a engine knock. I immediately pulled over and checked under the hood. Nothing appeared loose or out of place. There were no visible signs of any leaks, no warning lights, no smoke or smells. After speaking with my father we thought best not to drive
it and have it towed to a dealer. The next day the dealer called and said when they attempted to drive into the shop the engine seized and locked up. They checked and there were a few quarts of oil but said it looked like dark like it had been a while since the last oil change. They said they can get an engine in a week and it’s about two weeks of labor to complete. They needed me to gather my service records in case Mazda wants to review them since it’s a costly repair.

Here is the problem, in March we lost our home and ALL of our belongings. I don’t have any of my records at the moment. I was advised to reach out to the service shops who I have visited to try and pull old records. I got a couple oil change receipts from Pepboys but am still missing more info. I’m not positive which shops I even took that vehicle to since I do the service for all the females in my family as well. I’ve been to a lot of shops. My concern is that Mazda could void my warranty if I don’t have adequate records. I do have a little note pad where I wrote info like dates and mileage. I tried to look at my bank statements but I’m on my third bank in two years after leaving my employer who Is a bank as well. I can’t even get statements that could say when it was.

Does anyone have experience on what is or not acceptable records?

Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 AM

Man that sucks sorry for the bad luck. With the question at hand its hard telling how they will handle it as fa as warranty is concerned. With only a few quarts of oil in it one could come to the conclusion that it was not properly filled. Your last record of oil change before motor seized would be what you need. That would likely place blame on that particular shop. Do you check oil periodically after oil changes? I would say acceptable records would be proof of oil changes as in receipts. I don't think a written record from you will do much.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:15 AM

Wow, that's some bad luck!

What happened to your house and all of your stuff?

Good luck with all of this.

Old 08-08-2018, 04:51 PM

if you contact you old banks with possible dates they can pull it up for you and send it to you in form of email attachment..thats if you
can remember the approx dates. pep boys usually write the serial number down of each car serviced ,, they will have the record in their
system,, if you can get it from them. if you can somehow get those records it will help your case.

terry m

Old 08-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Im guessing you dont keep your service book in the glovebox?

Old 08-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Wow, you have my sympathy. As hard as any one of the things you have gone through, the combination is a multiplier of the level of stress on you.

I agree that the last oil change is the most important. Your log will be helpful if they are decent about it. If the receipts you have matches the log, it all adds to the evidence. If you have support for the last oil change, that would be the most helpful. The one before that would also be good. They should have written on the receipt if there was a major problem when they did the oil change.

How many miles do you have on the CX-5 and how often did you get an oil change?