Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First maintenance interval - what should get done and what should it cost?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM
Default First maintenance interval - what should get done and what should it cost?

My CX-5 has only 2,800 miles on it but the "scheduled maintenance due" indicator already came on. I have had the car for 5 months, so maybe it's time-based, rather than mileage-based.

Anyway, I called a few dealers to ask what gets done and how much it costs. I got answers all over the place. On the low end, one dealer said it's just an oil and filter change and costs $99. On the other end, I was told it's an oil/filter change, tire balancing, and air filter check/change (not sure if they mean engine or cabin) for which I'd be charged $230.

The owner's manual seems to indicate that the first maintenance is really just an oil/filter change, plus checking other fluids.

In your real-world experience, what did you get done at your first maintenance and what did it cost?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 PM

Exactly what the owners' manual maintenance schedule calls for. Nothing more, nothing less. I do my own using Mazda Super-moly oil and filter. Costs me about $50. If you can get it done for $99 USING THOSE MATERIALS (not a cheaper synthetic like Castrol), you're doing OK.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:20 PM

uhmm..NEW car? Your first oil change is FREE. They should have their own checklist setup for the first visit. You unable to go to the same dealer you bought from?

Old 11-12-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JeffMD
uhmm..NEW car? Your first oil change is FREE. They should have their own checklist setup for the first visit. You unable to go to the same dealer you bought from?
Uh, that's hardly a universal practice. Strictly depends on the dealer.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:03 PM

We just got back from our first service. "Full Circle Inspection" included testing the battery, checking the windshield for cracks, checking the wiper blades, windshield washer, horn, interior and exterior lights, HVAC operation, parking brake, all fluid levels (washer fluid, brake, AT, steering, coolant, oil), drive belts, air filter, steering linkage/play/bearings, suspension shocks/struts, exhaust system, brake lines, hoses, brake linings, oil and filter change. We said not to bother to rotate the tires.

Total charge --------------- $19.03.

PLUS, they washed the car, which is worth at least $10 to me just for that (exterior only). Only charge was $17.95 for the oil and filter, plus $1.08 tax.

Oh, and I DO NOT have any pre-paid service agreements.

If my first oil change was free, all this would have cost me nothing.

Last edited by Sea Six; 11-21-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sea Six
We just got back from our first service. "Full Circle Inspection" included testing the battery, checking the windshield for cracks, checking the wiper blades, windshield washer, horn, interior and exterior lights, HVAC operation, parking brake, all fluid levels (washer fluid, brake, AT, steering, coolant, oil), drive belts, air filter, steering linkage/play/bearings, suspension shocks/struts, exhaust system, brake lines, hoses, brake linings, oil and filter change. We said not to bother to rotate the tires.

PLUS, they washed the car, which is worth at least $10 to me just for that (exterior only). Only charge was $17.95 for the oil and filter, plus $1.08 tax.

So, if I'm catching your drift, you feel you got a pretty good deal. And on the surface, it appears you did. However, let me point out that for $17.95 the dealer used whatever bulk oil he had in the tank (usually Castrol) and not the preferred Mazda Super-moly oil. Also, I'm wondering why you passed on the tire rotation? If you had enough miles for an initial service, chances are you also had enough (5k-7.5k, depending on your preference) for the first tire rotation.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
So, if I'm catching your drift, you feel you got a pretty good deal. And on the surface, it appears you did. However, let me point out that for $17.95 the dealer used whatever bulk oil he had in the tank (usually Castrol) and not the preferred Mazda Super-moly oil. Also, I'm wondering why you passed on the tire rotation? If you had enough miles for an initial service, chances are you also had enough (5k-7.5k, depending on your preference) for the first tire rotation.
Oh, how wrong you are about the oil. Also understand there is no minimum mileage for an initial service. The schedule calls for this at 5 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. I didn't get the tires rotated because the car only has 300 miles on it, and I would have had to pay for that. My only goal was to replace the factory oil and have the car looked at just in case there were some "out of the box" issues that seem to come with new cars. Everything was fine, which was so refreshing after trading in my Ford Edge that had multiple problems right off the showroom floor.

My wife and I comment how when we take the Mazdas in for service, there might be 1 other person in the waiting room with us. When we had the Ford, we were lucky to find a seat.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:17 PM

Oh, how wrong you are about the oil. Also understand there is no minimum mileage for an initial service. The schedule calls for this at 5 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. I didn't get the tires rotated because the car only has 300 miles on it, and I would have had to pay for that. My only goal was to replace the factory oil and have the car looked at just in case there were some "out of the box" issues that seem to come with new cars. Everything was fine, which was so refreshing after trading in my Ford Edge that had multiple problems right off the showroom floor.

My wife and I comment how when we take the Mazdas in for service, there might be 1 other person in the waiting room with us. When we had the Ford, we were lucky to find a seat.
300 miles in 5 months? Uber would have been a cheaper alternative! So you're saying Mazda brand oil is specified on the work order? What will they charge you next go-round?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:43 PM

I bought a 2016.5 CX-5 and just noticed the oil change interval is up to 10k miles?

Is the mileage minder activated at the dealer in the USA?

If I can even go to 7.5k miles between oil changes that will save me some $ because I change the oil every month almost (5k miles per month).

Old 03-03-2017, 05:42 AM

Steering is electric, no fluid to check.

Quick Reply: First maintenance interval - what should get done and what should it cost?