Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Doors freezing shut (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/doors-freezing-shut-41364/)

Crystle Helland 02-07-2019 09:13 PM

Doors freezing shut

Does anyone have the problem of the doors freezing shut easily? The first time it happened, I opened the door anyway and the rubber seal broke. My car was 6 months old at the time. Now we're having winter weather again and every morning, I have to run water around my door to get it to open. Then I get to work and I'm frozen inside my car because the water I used to open it froze the door shut again. I don't know if thisis a thing or if i should be complaining to the dealership. It's a 2017.

schmieg 02-07-2019 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Crystle Helland (Post 172805)
Does anyone have the problem of the doors freezing shut easily? The first time it happened, I opened the door anyway and the rubber seal broke. My car was 6 months old at the time. Now we're having winter weather again and every morning, I have to run water around my door to get it to open. Then I get to work and I'm frozen inside my car because the water I used to open it froze the door shut again. I don't know if thisis a thing or if i should be complaining to the dealership. It's a 2017.

If a car sits out in extremely cold weather after sitting in freezing rain, the doors and other parts are going to freeze shut. I once had to use a hunting knife being hit by a handaxe to get into my 04 Tahoe after it sat out overnight in an ice - snow storm. However, instead of putting water on the door to thaw it (it's just going to freeze again as you found out), you might try some of the deicer sprays or a hair dryer if you have access to an electrical outlet.

pcardoza 02-08-2019 06:17 AM

Silicone spray on the gaskets will be a huge help in preventing freezing.

3carmonte 02-08-2019 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by pcardoza (Post 172814)
Silicone spray on the gaskets will be a huge help in preventing freezing.

This works quite well. I learned this in Minnesota from the locals when I lived there. Coat the seals and the corresponding door frames. Re-apply once a week or so during the winter. No worries.

Arkainzeye 02-09-2019 05:11 AM

So when you're running water over the door, in order for you to be able to open the door. I assume you're wiping that water off the door once it's open, so it doesn't repeat the very thing that you just got done un doing?

we got things said, I would not use water again I would use a deicer. I had this happen with my gas top door. A couple weeks ago, I used a deicer because I didn't want to pour water into the cracks and crevices only for it to refreeze and caused the issue all over again. Since I've used the icer I have not had a reoccurrence of my problem

Puyapim 02-09-2019 12:26 PM

The gold standard for rubber seals is Gummi Pflege. Use this on all your seals.

https://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett...are-stick.html

raj55 02-10-2019 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Crystle Helland (Post 172805)

The only remedie that works is silicone spray around the rubber seals. There are two rubber seals for each door. Don't forget the rear hatch. The other thing that works is the gummiperflege a rubber care spray that BMW sells. The newer gummiperflege that BMW sells is also silicone spray.
The other thing you need is a car lock spray of graphite and not some alcohol. Graphite never freezes and lubricatesc well. Spray on all your locks

Voodooman777 02-10-2019 12:14 PM

I live in Northern Ontario and I had this problem in all of my vehicles. Even the windows would freeze up in the winter time and not roll down. Like someone else said here. Get some silicon spray. I spray it on a rag first and then coat all rubber seals with it. Works like magic. no more sticking. You do however have to reapply it several times throughout the winter.

davmac 02-12-2019 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Voodooman777 (Post 172879)
I live in Northern Ontario and I had this problem in all of my vehicles. Even the windows would freeze up in the winter time and not roll down. Like someone else said here. Get some silicon spray. I spray it on a rag first and then coat all rubber seals with it. Works like magic. no more sticking. You do however have to reapply it several times throughout the winter.

This works. Possibly even better is silicone grease applied with a rag to the rubber seals. The grease tends to last longer - usually a whole winter season. 3M makes a silicone paste and NAPA sells Sil-glyde which will also do the trick.

No personal experience, but sure that the BMW Gummi Pflege Stift works great. The advantage with the Gummi Pflege product is that it comes with an applicator so you are not spraying all over the place or wasting as much silicone when spraying into a rag to wipe on the door seals.