Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   The dealership wanted $150 to replace my cabin filter in my engine air filter (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/dealership-wanted-%24150-replace-my-cabin-filter-my-engine-air-filter-41388/)

gatordave641 02-10-2019 07:53 PM

The dealership wanted $150 to replace my cabin filter in my engine air filter

I went to the dealership here in Jacksonville last week to have my oil changed and tires rotated which was still $90. They told me I needed to replace my cabin air filter and my engine air filter the cabin filter was going to be $62 and the air filter was going to be 72 installed. I went to Advance Auto bought the air filter for $15 replaced at myself in 30 seconds and then ordered the cabin air filter from RockAuto for $20 got it in two days and replaced it in about 45 seconds. So the way I look at it I saved myself over $100 for about a minute and a half work. Has anyone else experienced the dealership charging this much for such a simple service?

grim_reaper 02-11-2019 03:35 AM

Sounds about right. Genuine Pollen filter would be about $50 + 0.1hrs labour about $12, & Genuine Air Filter is about $60 + 0.1hrs Labour about $12.

gatordave641 02-12-2019 07:09 PM

Not worth it

I picked up a Purolator air filter from Advance Auto and a Wix cabin filter from RockAuto which I'm sure are just as good if not better than the OEM filters. The fact that they would charge that much is beyond comprehension.

grim_reaper 02-13-2019 02:38 AM

It physically takes time to remove & replace the filters & they need to account for the time spent.

0.1hrs per item is a minimal charge. You get nothing for free.

davmac 03-13-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper (Post 172954)
It physically takes time to remove & replace the filters & they need to account for the time spent.

0.1hrs per item is a minimal charge. You get nothing for free.

Exactly right. The quoted price that started this thread was fair and reasonable.
Would any of us want to work as a automotive tech for free?
As an owner you can do whatever you want within your skills and tools and time. And, you will save money.
Personally I'm sick of the stealership bs unless the complaint is for poor or unnecessary service. Dealerships and independent repair shops have to make money on the parts and service that they sell. If you find an honest place that does quality work then you should not complain so much about price. You are free to install your own parts - 99% of the time that is what I'm doing. Just quite whining about honest businesses trying to make a fair profit.

gatordave641 03-13-2019 06:59 PM

That's funny because I spoke to the service manager at the dealership last week and even he admitted it was a ridiculous price. He said the only people that get that work done at the dealership are people too lazy to do the work themselves the profit margin on it is ridiculous. You guys must be mechanics to justify that kind of price gouging.

davmac 03-13-2019 11:13 PM

HaHa I would never pay someone to replace a couple of filters and you shouldn’t either.
My only point: If you want the dealership service to replace some filters then you should expect to get OEM parts and pay for their time. That’s not gouging.
God blessed you if you’re able to get the parts and do these simple repairs yourself.
And the same if you can afford to pay someone else to do it for you.

mazdaCPA 03-15-2019 08:35 AM

I replaced the cabin filter in my Mazda 6 years ago and saved money doing it myself. I broke the glove compartment and lost everything I saved replacing it.

Next time, I took it to a local shop, they broke the glove compartment and I told them where they could get a replacement. (It was either that time or when they replaced my headlights and left finger prints on the bulbs that I decided to find a new shop.)

tonyt 03-17-2019 01:06 PM

Diy

In the time it took took make this post , you could have replaced it yourself.. just saying

grim_reaper 03-18-2019 05:03 AM

Genuine parts are, 99% of the time alot more expensive than aftermarket parts. So don't try comparing apples with oranges & then complain about cost difference.

Regardless of which parts you purchase, you would only be saving 0.2 or 0.3 of an hour labour by replacing the filters yourself. $26 or $39. ( $130/hr)