Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cleared codes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Default Dealer cleared codes

Purchased 2016 Mazda CX-5 from online car dealer. I have 7 days to return. Took to mechanic, who noted three codes had been cleared: battery circuit failure, body control module, and camera failure. What should I do? Could this mean the dealer fixed these issues? Or are hiding them? The vehicle has a 90 day warranty as well. Help?

Old 05-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Does the car still have some factory warranty left? If so you can hold on it, otherwise it will be a bit risky. Also, I assume you have a carfax report. Does it show that it was recently serviced by a Mazda dealer?

Old 05-04-2019, 12:54 PM

Hey, thanks for replying! It has 54k on it, so minimal warranty (60k). The dealership/company (like Carvana, it’s delivery based) includes 90 day warranty as well. Car fax is clean, single owner, not a rental, only shows oils changes pretty much, until sold to dealer, then listed. The car inside and out is immaculate... I spoke with the company. They seem to be willing to fix anything that needs to be repaired (asked for estimates). I am going to take it to a Mazda service shop to see if the error codes cleared actually indicate a problem.

Just a bit nerve-wracking. I waited three years to get one...

Old 05-04-2019, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Is there actually anything wrong with the vehicle right now?
What were the 3 codes?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 AM

The only thing I know for sure is wrong is the passenger side halo light (which the dealer has indicated they would take care of — $1200). My mechanic did not give me the numerical codes (I will call tomorrow to see if he has them), but says the codes were for ‘battery critical failure, body control module, camera failure’. From what I can tell, the first can be caused by the body control module (there is no battery critical failure, but I think it could be either relay coil or relay circuit failure or power supply ecu failure). Did not really see a camera code, but it might be related to the body control module.

i have asked the company for a copy of the inspection report for the ‘quality inspection’ they completed. Maybe they replaced the body control module ($300). If not, I plan to request they pay for it...

‘I am taking the vehicle to a certified Mazda service center tomorrow and have them check everything out. I am considering the option of asking them to provide an extended warranty (beyond the three months/6000 miles they offer).

The car car is pristine inside, with one scuff and one tiny scratch that I can find. It smells like a new car. Everything (except the light, which is a know issue with this year cx 5) seems to work well, and my mechanic did not see any issues (other than the cleared codes). The tires are even new (19 inch, so yay!).

I am am concerned that they cleared the code without fixing the problem, and that problem(s) come ack to haunt my wallet.

Thanks for responding!

Old 05-05-2019, 08:02 AM

I’ve been reading reviews of the company online. Terrifying! I know happy people tend not to post reviews, but 😳.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:03 PM

Turns out two of the codes were caused (most likely) when the battery was replaced. The other code (according to my research) is not necessarily an indication of a problem. The company has agreed (in writing) to replace the headlamp (they are sending it to the dealership - version ‘J’ ) - and covering the cost of installation. They are also covering the air filter that needed to be replaced. I feel satisfied that the car is solid. I really appreciate the input.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Cimmaryn
I’ve been reading reviews of the company online. Terrifying! I know happy people tend not to post reviews, but 😳.
What terrifying information have you found?

Happy people tend to post positive reviews and I will go further that happy people tend to buy the product over and over and tend to be more likely to actively participate in a forum. (I am on my 5th Mazda.)

Unhappy people tend to join a forum to post their issue and drop out when the issue is resolved. If they stay unhappy, they tend to buy something different the next time.

There are problems with some cars from all manufacturers, I would say that Mazda's products, on average are as good as or better than any other brand on the market.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:45 PM

I think the Company the OP is referring to is the on-line dealer - not Mazda.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Hello...I just found reviews full of horror stories — about the online dealer, not the Mazda. I love the Mazda, actually, but trying to make a smart decision. Today a new problem that led to my passenger side wheel well radiating heat and a strong burned rubber smell. Back to mechanic. He says either they installed the wrong brake pads, put them on incorrectly, or possibly a caliper issue. More concerning, actually, is the amount of rust underneath (though it was previously owned in a northern state) and the *handfuls* of dirt he pulled out from under the vehicle (on some ledge under the car near the middle of the car). He said it looked like it was possibly flooded and the dirt was silt that washed in. No musty smell inside though. I just don’t know. Waiting to see if the dealer will cover the brake issue or not. I have an extension for at least one day to still send it back. The mechanic did say the rust was surface and could be dealt with...i just do not know anymore. Oh, clean car fax, of course. I am trying to balance the ‘a used car will not be perfect’ and ‘run away’. Any advice?

Quick Reply: Dealer cleared codes