Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cylinder deactivation?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:12 PM
Default Cylinder deactivation?

We have a 2018. Non a fan of the cylinder deactivation. Find when one rolls on the throttle there is nothing, more nothing and then all of a sudden the 4 cylinders kick in. Personally, it is the s h ! t s. Now, for fuel mileage on a road trip it is likely beneficial.

I might dig into things to see if it can be easily disabled. Eg, pull a fuse or something.

How do others find the cylinder deactivation feature?

Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by charliev
We have a 2018. Non a fan of the cylinder deactivation. Find when one rolls on the throttle there is nothing, more nothing and then all of a sudden the 4 cylinders kick in. Personally, it is the s h ! t s. Now, for fuel mileage on a road trip it is likely beneficial.

I might dig into things to see if it can be easily disabled. Eg, pull a fuse or something.

I don't have it and I don't want it, but on the Jeep Forums people are reporting that a side effect of some of those OBLIC modules used for monitoring the vehicle will disable the cylinder deactivation. Don't know if that's Jeep specific or not.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Have not noticed this with ours. Pretty smooth in general.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:00 PM

I have the 2018 CX5 GT. Nowhere in any of the paperwork does it say anything about the cylinder deactivation feature. I even called Mazda HQ and they said all 2018s come with it. The only thing I can say is that if it's there, it's been completely seamless in operation and I'm getting excellent fuel economy.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Slotracer
I have the 2018 CX5 GT. Nowhere in any of the paperwork does it say anything about the cylinder deactivation feature. I even called Mazda HQ and they said all 2018s come with it. The only thing I can say is that if it's there, it's been completely seamless in operation and I'm getting excellent fuel economy.
Cylinder Deactivation is definitely there. Check the specs here https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/specs

Engine type SKYACTIV®1-G 2.5L DOHC 16-valve 4-cylinder with Cylinder Deactivation
Horsepower 187 hp @ 6,000 rpm
Torque 186 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Old 04-10-2018, 11:42 AM

Did you find out if cylinder deactivation can be disabled?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NewCX5
Did you find out if cylinder deactivation can be disabled?
I do not think that the cylinder deactivation can be disabled. Please let us know if you find out otherwise.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:14 PM

I have a Mazda 3 and the only way I’ve found to deactivate it is to turn on sport mode

Old 07-21-2019, 02:41 PM

Update after 18 month ownership.

Can only deactivate with sport mode on which just changes the throttle sensitivity and moves the shift points to higher rpm. Driving around town at 3000 rpm is just stupid. However, ripping through the mountains is great - stays closer to the power band.

It also seems to deactivate above 80 kmh.

I still struggle driving through town with the deactivation and bitch about it each time I feel it. My dear wife doesn't feel the deactivation when she drives. But, she tends to stand on the accelerator.

I find a number of the electronic controls on the vehicle seem have been designed/coded by junior |IT people. It is like they only put in enough effort in so it works, but not very refined. Perhaps I'm being too sensitive - not manly enough. Honestly, I find it disappointing.

Overall, it is a good vehicle, but like any vehicle produced it has some limitations.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:46 PM

Update after 18 month ownership.

Can only deactivate with sport mode on which just changes the throttle sensitivity and moves the shift points to higher rpm. Driving around town at 3000 rpm is just stupid. However, ripping through the mountains is great - stays closer to the power band.

It also seems to deactivate above 80 kmh.

I still struggle driving through town with the deactivation and bitch about it each time I feel it. My dear wife doesn't feel the deactivation when she drives. But, she tends to stand on the accelerator.

I find a number of the electronic controls on the vehicle seem have been designed/coded by junior |IT people. It is like they only put in enough effort in so it works, but not very refined. Perhaps I'm being too sensitive - not manly enough. Honestly, I find it disappointing.

Overall, it is a good vehicle, but like any vehicle produced it has some limitations.
There is an option available on your car which would have eliminated all of your complaints; unfortunately it appears you missed buying that option. Which option is this? A manual transmission. Not only would a 6-Speed manual cure all of your driveability issues, but it is also considered more "manly".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cylinder deactivation?