Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

can I use E15 gas in 2013 CX-5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 06:16 PM
Default can I use E15 gas in 2013 CX-5?

can I use E15 gas in 2013 CX-5? I know mazda dosent recomend it but will it hurt the car. If I want to use premium fuel thats all they have around here is E15 unless I use reqular 87 which is still E10.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 PM

Why in the world would you want to use premium in a 2 litre CX-5 (or a 2.5 for that matter)? This topic has been beaten to death since the inception of the Skyactiv G engine. You will gain absolutely nothing but a lighter wallet. End of discussion.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sav04
can I use E15 gas in 2013 CX-5? I know mazda dosent recomend it but will it hurt the car. If I want to use premium fuel thats all they have around here is E15 unless I use reqular 87 which is still E10.
I agree with Paris1, why would you be using Premium; your car was designed to run on Regular.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 PM

While I agree that premium is a waste in the CX5, it is not rated for E15 use and using that fuel WILL RESULT in lower fuel efficiency at a minimum and could cause damage to your fuel system. E10 87 octane is fine for the CX5. Increased octane will not result in better performance and may increase the chances of pre-ignition.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Increased octane will not result in better performance and may increase the chances of pre-ignition.
No, there isn't a gasoline sold in North America which will cause pre-ignition in a CX-5, or any other gasoline engine for that matter. Not even remotely possible.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:08 AM

Use exactly what your owner's manual specifies... And you will have no problems . .

Old 02-03-2019, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Low octane fuel can cause pre-ignition if the engine isn't tuned for it.

Old 02-03-2019, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Low octane fuel can cause pre-ignition if the engine isn't tuned for it.
Incorrect, low octane gasoline cannot possibly cause pre-ignition in an otherwise healthy engine, however, it can cause detonation.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Incorrect, low octane gasoline cannot possibly cause pre-ignition in an otherwise healthy engine, however, it can cause detonation.
You’re going to have to explain the distinction.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by paris1

You’re going to have to explain the distinction.
Pre-Ignition:
  • This phenomena occurs while the piston is still rising during the compression cycle and happens before the spark event, hence the name "pre-ignition". On an otherwise healthy engine on any commercial grade of gasoline meant for cars, regardless of AKI or Octane rating, it is physically impossible for pre-ignition to occur.
Detonation:
  • This phenomena occurs late in the combustion cycle, L-O-N-G after the spark event; detonation, often called "pinging", is where the rising temperatures and pressures in the combustion chamber conspire to compress small pockets of end-gas (i.e. unburned intake charge) to the point where they will detonate before the combustion wave front reaches said pockets. Ideally you want an engine to be tuned to the point of "incipient detonation" at all times (i.e. right up to the knife's edge of detonation, but not there yet); tuning an engine to run at the point of incipient detonation will provide the greatest amount of power per any unit of gasoline (which in turn will yield better acceleration and better fuel economy).
Additional reading:

Last edited by shipo; 02-03-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: can I use E15 gas in 2013 CX-5?