Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Flash drive issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 06:47 PM
Pep
Default Flash drive issues

My 2017 CX-5 is having flash drive issues. I have a lot of music on two Flash drives which I keep plugged into the two ports. Ever so often my system will drop the flash connection and revert to a radio station. At that point I can't access either of the flash drives.
When it happened yesterday I removed the flash drives and they were so hot I could barely hold onto them. Once they cooled down they worked again but eventually heated up again and reverted to a radio station.

Is this a known problem and if so is there are remedy for it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-21-2020, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

When was your MZD connect software last updated?

Have you tried another brand of USB sticks?

Old 06-22-2020, 08:20 AM
Pep

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
When was your MZD connect software last updated?

Have you tried another brand of USB sticks?
i have all of my service done by the dealer so if they haven’t automatically done an update, it hasn’t been done. Is it something I can do?

Also I’m using Sandisk flash drives. I’ll try another brand and see what happens.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Pep
i have all of my service done by the dealer so if they haven’t automatically done an update, it hasn’t been done. Is it something I can do?

Also I’m using Sandisk flash drives. I’ll try another brand and see what happens.
I don't know if this would cause any of your problems, but SanDisk drives often come with a hidden partition that contains proprietary software for backups and such. This can cause a problem with some applications (Jeep's flash updates is one of them). This can be resolved by using a disk management program to remove the hidden partition. Depending on the management software, you may not have to remove your music, but many will require the format of the drive. Some, like Partition Manager, will allow you to remove that partition and have it added to your main partition without removing your software.

I'm not saying that will solve your problem and you may want to try a different brand before going that route. Be aware that other brands may have those hidden partitions as well though. I use SanDisk with that partition removed on my 2014 CX5GT without any problems.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Latest software in my market is 70.00.335.

You can probably find pirate copies on the internet.

I would visit your dealer, ask then to check, if its old, ask why it wasn't updated during the last service.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Pep

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Latest software in my market is 70.00.335.

You can probably find pirate copies on the internet.

I would visit your dealer, ask then to check, if its old, ask why it wasn't updated during the last service.
okay, thanks.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pep
My 2017 CX-5 is having flash drive issues. I have a lot of music on two Flash drives which I keep plugged into the two ports. Ever so often my system will drop the flash connection and revert to a radio station. At that point I can't access either of the flash drives.
When it happened yesterday I removed the flash drives and they were so hot I could barely hold onto them. Once they cooled down they worked again but eventually heated up again and reverted to a radio station.

Is this a known problem and if so is there are remedy for it?

Thanks in advance.
I had an issue with one of my usb drives as well. The issue went away as soon as I switched to a different brand.

Old 06-30-2020, 10:33 AM

I don't know for sure but maybe a stick with a faster read speed would help.
Maybe?