Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Questions About CX5 Manual

Old 06-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Default Questions About CX5 Manual

I'm considering buying a cx5 6 speed manual and would like to know how other manual owners feel about their purchase. I've tried one out and find it a bit underpowered. I am coming from a 04 Toyota RAV4 with 250,000 miles on it - with the original clutch - it has been extremely reliable (so I have kind of high expectations). What has your real world mileage been? How is long term reliability? Thanks.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Where in the world are you?
Are you looking at the 2.0ltr petrol? 2.5ltr petrol? or 2.2 diesel?
And what are you comparing it to in regards to it feeling underpowered? The RAV4? What engine is in the RAV4?

Old 03-06-2017, 05:51 AM

I have a manual Mazda CX 5 and right now I am sort of on the fence with it.

I have driven numerous automatic and manual cars for over 40 years, other than basic maintenance, I have never had transmission issues. However, I have had my 2014 Maxza CX5 and for the first time in my life I am having issues with a gear box/transmission.

The only reason I bought a new Mazda CX5 was because I was very impressed with my old manual 1999 Mazda protege. I was able to get excellent use out of that car which lead me to believe the new Mazda vehicle are sure to be a much better product. Right now, unless the dealership resolves my issues, I would have to say.... wait on your purchase.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:41 AM

What "issues" are you having?!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:55 PM

Well, when I shift into 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th gear the car would disengage between 2000 - 2500 rpm. Also, numerous times I have been noticing the Mazda CX5 would thump after disengaging while in 4th gear. Now, when the vehilce is in 5th and 6th gear it runs pretty smoothly. Have any idea what is causing the problem and how much will it cost? It is under warranty with the dealership so I am not stressing too much. However, for a new vehicle, I am not to pleased that it has a gearbox/transmission issue.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:16 PM

I have no idea what would cause that, but it sounds like you'll be getting a new transmission. I wouldn't be thrilled either, but that's why God made vehicle warranties. **** happens and it's not a "new" vehicle, as you state. With the symptoms you list, it should not be a diagnostic challenge for a competent dealer service dept.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Just a follow up regarding my manual Mazda CX5.
The dealership has correct the disengaging issue with the 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th gear. Now that I have been riding it for a few weeks I have noticed that the 1st gear seems to have a grinding sensation but it only occurs whenever the car is on a hill. Today, the car had a grinding sensation while in gear then it began to shake which caused the engine shut off. This issue was happening when I first purchased the car two years ago but I was told that is how the car is designed. In the past, the car would first start to buck like a bronco before shutting off. Now, it shakes and then stalls. This is suppose to be a brand new transmission yet the car is still running very strangely. I am very dissappointed with this car. I would not suggest anyone buy this car. One time, the car was in first gear yet it started to go into reverse. Fortunately, I was at a stop sign and it was only moving at 1 mph.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:26 AM

So, to answer your question, HONDAWALLY, DO NOT..... I REPEAT, DO NOT .... BUY
THE MANUAL MAZDA CX 5. I regret ever stepping foot onto the Rick Case Dealership. Replacement of new trans/gear box does not resolve the shaking and jerking of entire
car when its in 1st gear or reverse while on a hill. I had the Jim Ellis Master Mechanic in my vehicle while the car was shaking and quaking and I was told this is the design of the car. I believe the design is flawed. While at the Jim Ellis Dealership I requested to test drive one of the newer Manual CX5 models but the dealership did not have one vehicle on the entire lot. Go figure. I believe I was sold a lemon vehicle, so I was told by corporate to look into the Georgia lemon law and speak with the BBB. So, Buyer beware !!!!!!