Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   2024 CX-5 Select Front Passenger Airbag ?? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/2024-cx-5-select-front-passenger-airbag-53012/)

theandies 11-25-2023 10:55 PM

2024 CX-5 Select Front Passenger Airbag ??

My wife and I just bought a 2024 CX-5. I have not experienced this yet but my wife says sometimes when nobody is sitting in the front passenger seat the car dings and beeps telling the passenger to fasten their seatbelt. I know these newer cars are using electrostatic sensors instead of weight sensors. I asked when it happens if she has anything on the seat and she said just her purse. My guess is her purse holds a charge large enough to set of the sensor. I wanted to get the take of other CX-5 owners to see how common this is or should we take it in to have it looked at. Next time it happens I'll tell her to take her purse off of the seat if it's there.
Thanks
BTW this is our first Mazda and so far it's been great.

Alexmed2002 11-25-2023 11:59 PM

It happens sometimes to my car as well as my girlfriend's. It's usually the back middle seat in both of our CX-5s. It goes away on its own, but if it happens too often I would definitely take it to the dealer under warranty.

gigo 11-26-2023 10:40 AM

Same situation :-)
Bag on the back seats is the same, only on the floor or in the trunk
Regards

theandies 11-26-2023 04:21 PM

Wow, so it happens to the back seats as well. I'll tell her that too. Thanks

Dennis Wendt 11-26-2023 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 221644)
My wife and I just bought a 2024 CX-5. I have not experienced this yet but my wife says sometimes when nobody is sitting in the front passenger seat the car dings and beeps telling the passenger to fasten their seatbelt. I know these newer cars are using electrostatic sensors instead of weight sensors. I asked when it happens if she has anything on the seat and she said just her purse. My guess is her purse holds a charge large enough to set of the sensor. I wanted to get the take of other CX-5 owners to see how common this is or should we take it in to have it looked at. Next time it happens I'll tell her to take her purse off of the seat if it's there.
Thanks

The sensor in the passenger seat is pretty sensitive. Even small items will trip it. A handful of letters headed to the P.O. will set it off.

Alexmed2002 11-26-2023 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Wendt (Post 221676)
The sensor in the passenger seat is pretty sensitive. Even small items will trip it. A handful of letters headed to the P.O. will set it off.

It's very sporadic too. It usually happens when someone is sitting in the back seat, but trips the middle seat off. When driving by myself I can't recall it happening and I always have stuff in the back seat. There is a seatbelt light panel for the three individual backseats near the climate controls so you can look there for confirmation.

aguayovl 04-03-2024 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 221644)
Thanks

Hi, I just got a 2024 CX5 as well, the basic trim. The panel in front, that shows the back and passenger seatbelt lights- should it also include the passenger airbag light? My car only shows the pilot's airbag light for a few seconds before turning off (after starting engine). When there is a copilot (passenger), there is no airbag light doing the same thing. I was wondering if my car is defective or if basic trims don't include this light (and only include the passenger seatbelt light). Thanks

Alexmed2002 04-03-2024 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by aguayovl (Post 224721)
Hi, I just got a 2024 CX5 as well, the basic trim. The panel in front, that shows the back and passenger seatbelt lights- should it also include the passenger airbag light? My car only shows the pilot's airbag light for a few seconds before turning off (after starting engine). When there is a copilot (passenger), there is no airbag light doing the same thing. I was wondering if my car is defective or if basic trims don't include this light (and only include the passenger seatbelt light). Thanks

I believe that the passenger airbag light is only in the guage cluster.

aguayovl 04-03-2024 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002 (Post 224726)
I believe that the passenger airbag light is only in the guage cluster.

thanks, I will look there more closely.

Alexmed2002 04-03-2024 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by aguayovl (Post 224728)
thanks, I will look there more closely.

I forgot to add that it usually only comes on when there is someone in the seat. I think it's the same guage cluster light that gets shared between the driver and front passenger.