Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016.5 clicking sound from dashboard

Old 04-09-2017, 10:39 AM
Default 2016.5 clicking sound from dashboard

Hello everyone. I have a 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring.

I've been hearing a clicking sound coming from the driver's side corner of the dashboard (where the windshield meets the dashboard). It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but it happens mostly when going over small bumps, but not all the time. I have the same issue on the passenger side, but not as much. I do notice that when I take a corner, the noise stops, so it appears to be something loose that tightens with stress.

I took it to the dealer for oil change, and had them take a look. Took the tech for drive, he heard it, and did a few things: Something with the cowl, took off the door panel to tighten everything, and also tightened the chassis bolts. The tech said he took it for a drive, and didn't hear anything and concluded it was the chassis bolts. However, as soon as I got it on the road, click click click.

I've been reading people's posts with Mazda 3's with a similar issue with the cowl, but not the CX-5.

So I'm going to take it back again, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had/is having this issue?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2017, 02:52 PM

Sounds like the old cowl bolt problem that afflicted some early production CX-5s. See post #5 for a link in the following thread: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...=1#post6014315
However, this problem was supposed to be fixed years ago!

Old 04-12-2017, 07:56 AM

Thanks Paris1. The tech looked at the cowl first. I'm not sure what was done to it. Thanks for the link to the thread. I'll post when and if there's a resolution.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:08 PM

Just an update. Car has been at the dealer now for over 2 days. They have yet to figure out the clicking noise, and now been in touch with Mazda for help. Stay tuned.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:03 PM

Please let us know what you found out. We just picked up our new CX-5 2016.5 yesterday and I noticed a similar issue. Rattling coming from the drivers side dash above the instrument panel. I am taking will taking it in in a few weeks and would love to provide them the information on this thread to short circuit the process if I can.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 AM

Will do ChilliB. The noise I have is more of a snapping or clicking sound. More from the driver's side, but some from the passenger side as well. Both are coming from the corners of each side of the dash.

Today is Saturday, and they've had my CX-5 since Monday. I don't think they've been working on it constantly though. I do have a loaner car (which has advertising on each front door.... so I'm not sure if the real purpose of keeping my car was so that I'd drive around advertising the dealership).

If you do a Youtube search, you'll find videosof those with Mazda 3's with the same sound. For them, it turned out to be the cowl.

Here's one of those videos. My clicking sound is the same

Last edited by MetsFan; 04-22-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 PM

The latest update. Still don't have my CX-5. Been a week now.

Was told that Mazda engineering had the service department tighten things (can't recall what), then have 1 person in the car, drive it, have two people in the car, drive it. Guess they were looking to see if weight would change things. No help.

So they are now going with replacing an engine mount (because Mazda engineering said there have been some issues with them.... scary) and also replace a control arm. Will take a couple of days for the parts to come in and get them replaced.

Not feeling very optimistic.

I did find that when taking right corners, the car's weight shifts and the noise stops. But comes right back when driving straight. So there is something to the shift in weight, or stress on the chassis/body.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by MetsFan; 04-25-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Another update. Still don't have my CX-5 and it's been 2 weeks and 3 days. I do, at least, have a loaner car (with the dealer's information on both doors).

The replacement of the control arm or the replacement of the engine mount did not fix the problem (no surprise here).

As of May 3, they "may be contacting" the regional engineer for assistance. I have to assume this mean the engineer will be making a trip to the dealer to look at the car. I told them to please push for that. "May be contacting" is not an option at this point; it's a must. The engineer needs to make an appearance.

The latest claim is that the clicking/snapping noise does not occur when on the lift, but of course still happens when on the road. I'm not sure how they are able to determine that while the car is on the lift.... unless they are able to simulate being on the road.

I am considering calling Mazda today for their advocacy, although I'll probably start with a call to the service manager. I've been very patient, but running out.

Any advice from the forum would be most appreciated.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 AM

Update: They said they have put "Chassis Ears" on the car and determined the noise is definitely coming from the dashboard area. No kidding...

Yesterday and today, the guy working on it is off from work, so it's sitting for two days with no work being done. They've been in contact with the Mazda regional engineer for suggestions.

Calling Mazda Customer Care for assistance. It'll be four weeks on May 15th without my car (and a loaner with dealer advertising on the doors and rear bumper... which seems really low class)

How long does this go on before they give up? And if so, what happens then?

Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Update- 4 weeks and 1 day without my CX-5:

I called Mazda Customer Care. They called the dealer where my car was and got the same explanation that I already had. They told me that maybe bringing it to another dealer would be best. I told them to give the current dealer another few days (apparently, I'm a very patient person :-))

A day passed and I got an email from Mazda Customer Care that they want my permission to take it to another dealer because they felt that I'd get better attention at another dealer. I agreed, they got my car to the dealer on a flatbed, and I talked with the service manager who apparently is a master tech with 27 years experience, is now the service manager, and has a number of very experienced techs on his staff. They deal with these strange issues.

So that's the latest. I want my CX-5 back. But I want it fixed! Stay tuned.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016.5 clicking sound from dashboard