Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black plastic window trim- scratch suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 01:23 AM
Question Black plastic window trim- scratch suggestions.

Black Trim between doors:

Anyone got any suggestions for polishing out scratch from hedging on this shiny plastic trim- worried about using a polish in case it dulls surface
Name:  cry.gif
Views: 155
Size:  1,017 Bytes

Old 10-18-2022, 01:59 AM
BWJ

This works, tryed for myself

Old 10-20-2022, 01:51 AM

Thanks

Old 10-20-2022, 03:55 PM

Personally I wish they'd go back to the trim with the matt finish like on our 2014. My 2021 is just a scratch and scuff magnet!

Old 10-21-2022, 03:44 PM

Interesting the detailer made it sound like it was a really big deal to do and then a couple of passes later with M205 and its done. Doesn't seem like it was that bad. I used Mothers Power Plastic on mine and was happy with the results.

Old 10-21-2022, 04:18 PM

The only thing I recommend is to try it on some scrap plastic you may have around in the garage before a first time attempt on your car. You would be surprised how something that seems easy to polish can turn into a disaster very quickly.

Plastic requires a bit of practice to get swirless results. The 2 hardest to plastics polish is black and clear.

It is also my opinion seeing many really screw up their trim and soft rubber seal attached to the trip is not to use power too until you get a practice using them and the different pressure to apply for the best results without damaging your project.
I tend to have to agree the use of a one step polish may really be a better choice for most people.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-21-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:15 AM

I second what Callisto says.
I did plastic polishing on my sports bikes for years.
Believe me, it is a learned skill which resulted in several screw-ups before I got the hang of it.
I would also note that not all plastics have the same chemical make-up.
Meaning what works one vehicle "may" not work on another.
I have seen no difference with those that were "formulated" for clear plastic as opposed to black plastic.
Some plastic polishes/cleaners have chemical ingredients that can damage other materials on your vehicle, especially the spray ones.
To be safe I would highly suggest checking the SDS sheet of the product you plan to use before using it.
As for the human side of the SDS almost all of plastic polish/cleaners: Hazard Statements Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child.
This is why you should wear proper gloves when handling any chemical substance, but most people rarely do.
As for the brand of plastic polish/cleaners to choose, my experience is the higher the retail costs, does not necessarily lend to better results.
I normally use Meguiars but that is just my preference.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=Lobstah;209030]I second what Callisto says.
I did plastic polishing on my sports bikes for years.
Believe me, it is a learned skill which resulted in several screw-ups before I got the hang of it.
I would also note that not all plastics have the same chemical make-up.
Meaning what works one vehicle "may" not work on another.
I have seen no difference with those that were "formulated" for clear plastic as opposed to black plastic.
Some plastic polishes/cleaners have chemical ingredients that can damage other materials on your vehicle, especially the spray ones.
To be safe I would highly suggest checking the SDS sheet of the product you plan to use before using it.
As for the human side of the SDS almost all of plastic polish/cleaners: Hazard Statements Suspected of damaging fertility or the unborn child.
This is why you should wear proper gloves when handling any chemical substance, but most people rarely do.
As for the brand of plastic polish/cleaners to choose, my experience is the higher the retail costs, does not necessarily lend to better results.
I normally use Meguiars but that is just my preference. [/QUOTE]
Took the words right out of my mouth!!!!