Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   2.5T and 87 Octane (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/2-5t-87-octane-41348/)

pcardoza 02-05-2019 09:07 AM

2.5T and 87 Octane

New owner taking delivery of a '19 GTR this afternoon! Can't wait.

Can anyone share experience on the real-world performance difference between premium and regular gas in the 2.5T? Is the ~~30hp difference significant when out and about?

Paul C
Plymouth MA

shipo 02-05-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by pcardoza (Post 172759)
New owner taking delivery of a '19 GTR this afternoon! Can't wait.

Can anyone share experience on the real-world performance difference between premium and regular gas in the 2.5T? Is the ~~30hp difference significant when out and about?

Paul C
Plymouth MA

It depends; will you be drag racing or grocery getting?

pcardoza 02-05-2019 10:55 AM

It was a simple question.......... If it matters that much, I'll be commuting outside of Boston.

shipo 02-05-2019 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by pcardoza (Post 172763)
It was a simple question.......... If it matters that much, I'll be commuting outside of Boston.

It actually matters a lot; if you have a light foot on the pedal you'll never notice the difference.

Arkainzeye 02-05-2019 08:04 PM

kinda seems weird to buy the turbo and then not run the fuel that gives you the BEST performance.. i know the torque stays the same, just not the Ponies..

pcardoza 02-06-2019 06:14 AM

Well, that's what I'm asking I guess. On 87, its rated at 221hp, so 40 more than the non-turbo, but ~30 less than with 93. All I'm asking is what others have experienced. Got the CX-5 yesterday afternoon. First commute into work this morning was wonderful. Loved my Wrangler, but it's not the ideal commuter car!

Originally Posted by Arkainzeye (Post 172771)
kinda seems weird to buy the turbo and then not run the fuel that gives you the BEST performance.. i know the torque stays the same, just not the Ponies..

mazdaCPA 02-06-2019 06:51 PM

I agree with the responses. While I don’t have the turbo yet and can’t tell you the difference, it will depend on your impression of the value of the extra power. For some, I would suspect anything extra is worth it at any price. Others the power at the lower grade is more then enough.

Try a tank of each and decide for yourself. Let us know what you conclude.

mazda_nc_dude 02-07-2019 09:54 PM

I have the non-turbo CX-5 but I have a turbo VW Golf that runs on regular or premium. FWIW, I did not notice much difference and I cannot justify the higher price of premium. As one forum member suggested, try and decide yourself, and please let us know if you indeed notice a difference. And congrats on your CX-5, you'll love it.

pcardoza 02-08-2019 06:14 AM

Thanks. I do plan to experiment myself. Was just looking to learn what others have experienced.

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude (Post 172807)
I have the non-turbo CX-5 but I have a turbo VW Golf that runs on regular or premium. FWIW, I did not notice much difference and I cannot justify the higher price of premium. As one forum member suggested, try and decide yourself, and please let us know if you indeed notice a difference. And congrats on your CX-5, you'll love it.