Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-3 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-3-56/)
-   -   2019 CX-3 "Breathy" Brake Sound Normal? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-3-56/2019-cx-3-breathy-brake-sound-normal-42357/)

Lenoir 07-11-2019 02:07 PM

2019 CX-3 "Breathy" Brake Sound Normal?

Hi. Did a search, but no topic that's quite the same appeared for me here.

I don't know how else to describe the sound, but when I come to gradual stops it is like a breathy or hissing sound from the braking system. I can't quite tell if it's coming from outside, or the brake pedal, or both. There is also a slight rocking (forward-back) sensation to the car's motion when coming to a stop. The car is only 11 months old with less than 4000 miles on it, and I don't know if the sound and motion is normal or not for this make/model. Does anyone else have the same thing or have any idea?

Also, I have the wrench light reminding of maintenance needed. With the aforementioned mileage, do I really need a regular service appointment yet? I will go if the brake thing sounds abnormal in anyone's opinion, but otherwise....?

Thanks. :)

mazdaCPA 07-11-2019 04:28 PM

The sound does not sound normal to me. Since it is new, take it to the dealership to have them look at it.

How many miles do you drive it at a time? All brakes make a similar sound when you first start driving after leaving the car sit for a while, it should go away after a little driving and stopping. I don't think this is related but with 4,000 miles in 11 months, it may be a factor.

The service reminder is probably set for both a number of months or miles. It is easy to see what is recommended and to reset the warning. In the command center go to apps to the far left, select maintenance and you should see what is needed. The dealer may have set it for 3 or 6 months for an oil change.

I would get a Synthetic oil change every 12 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first. Oil can accumulate moisture over time which can do as much damage to the engine as letting it go for too many miles.

Lenoir 07-11-2019 11:38 PM

Thanks for replying.

Mostly I drive it around town with a few stops along the way, and a couple times a month take longer trips. The sound doesn't lessen on the longer drives, so it doesn't seem like the minor-rust-being-rubbed off-the-brakes thing like some people have suggested. It's been making this since it was new, but as it's my first Mazda, and my first AWD, I assumed it was just a different sound from my last car, and normal. Over time I've either become more and more conscious of it, or it's gotten slightly worse. The brakes do work fine, though, but I'm driving with nagging worry.

No alerts on the maintenance notification app, and it did show up around the same time I started getting maintenance reminders from my dealership, so must just be that. So, yeah, while I was hoping to put things off one more month, I'll make an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at. Thanks again!

Lenoir 07-23-2019 04:25 PM

OK, brought it for service/maintenance, and the brake sound was attributed to it still being very new and grit on the rotors (or something) that builds up from my apparently not driving it enough and being too gentle on the brakes. So basically, I think my car wants to be treated more like a Jeep, lol. Kid gloves are off! ^_^

Relieved it's just what I've been told might be the cause of the sound. I was obsessing.