Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/)
-   -   Air Conditioning (compressor) (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-bt-50-pickup-trucks-18/air-conditioning-compressor-2861/)

swcejk2002 04-09-2006 07:25 PM

Air Conditioning (compressor)

1998 Mazda B2500. GREAT TRUCK...just would like to have AC back in her. A ford dealer screwed me on a diagnosis. I got some help form a Ranger forum (mazda/ranger pretty much the same). I have a bad compressor, but I guess theres actually a center part (where the wheel with the belt is) that needs replacing. I'm also told that that part can be repleced instead of getting a new compressor. Any help would be great...ed

bkey71 04-09-2006 11:33 PM

RE: Air Conditioning (compressor)

The center part you speak of is the compressor clutch. If the compressor is bad, there is no need to replace just the clutch, it will not help. Was the compressor making a lot of noise when it was working? If you get the compressor replaced at a shop, you should get a whole new compressor assembly inc. the hub and clutch. If there are a an excess of metal shavings in the a/c system, then the system will need to be flushed along with replacing the accumulator. The accumulator has a drying agent inside it along with being a "shock absorber" for the system. Also have you had the system leak checked?

swcejk2002 06-15-2006 06:56 PM

I did have the system leak checked. This is when I got the bad information from the ford dealer (they put a agent of some kind and then used a black light to check the system, the guy said the tank ((where the R134 goes in)) was bad. but needless to say when he pulled the line off from which he was putting the agent in leaked around this tank and hence the message was that I needed a new tank. I was also told that it was leaking at the compressor at the hub. I don't see a way of removing this hub....hope you can help...ed

bkey71 06-16-2006 01:06 AM

If it is leaking at the compressor hub the best thing to do would be replace the compressor assembly. If you were to remove the hub, replacing the hub seal would entail disassembly of the compressor which is not recommended.

I presume the "tank" you refer to is the accumulator. If it was just leaking on the valve stem where the machine was hooked up, the stem can be replaced. If the compressor needs replacing, it is best to replace the accumulator too.

Here is a pic of an exploded view of a compressor. It it not the same model, but is put together the same way and order so you can see.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1828/ADAE29CAAC59443590582D085CA0F127.jpg[/IMG]

swcejk2002 06-18-2006 09:40 AM

Thanks for the help.....I REALLY appreciate it