Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/)
-   -   Valve Clatter or ticking (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/valve-clatter-ticking-18374/)

gadwhite 04-17-2009 05:50 PM

Valve Clatter or ticking

Hi Im a newbie here, but did try a search for my issue before bothering you guys ( Valve noise, valve, clatter etc).

I have a 1989 626 ( non-turbo) 4 cyl, with 127,000miles. Car was running fine before sitting for about 1 week. Had my daughter start the car and it ran and idled fine, had her shut of the car and restart, then heard a loud ticking or clattering noise. The noise frequency increases when we accelerated slightly. Have started the car several times and noise is constant. Used a long handled screwdriver to try to determine where on the engine noise is coming from, and think it is arouind the #2 cyl intake valve.
My question is are valve problems ( sticking), or timing belt problems common on these cars?
Has anyone had this or a similar problem?
Any recommendations on how to proceed with diagnosis, and then repair?

just want to save time effort and $ , so any tips appreciated.

virgin1 04-17-2009 08:39 PM

'Sounds entirely possible. That or a chunk of carbon is holding things up in there. But w/o actually being there, it is hard to know what it is you are hearing.
How's the oil?
I am not aware of any serious timing belt issues with these cars, and if it seems to be only one cyl in the middle of the block then I think you could rule that one out.
You may just have to go a little deeper on your own. e.g. remove the valve cover and start the car, but drape a rag (or two) over the exposed head so oil doesn't splash every where as it's running.

hixx 04-17-2009 08:57 PM

Sounds like the HLA's just bled down. I have had good luck with Marvins marvelous mystery oil in the crankcase to flush them out. About 4 bucks a bottle. A bottle of Techron in the gas tank could'nt hurt either.

gadwhite 04-18-2009 02:18 PM

Valve cover

Thanks Virgin1 and hixx. The oil looks fine, (recent change). I'll pull the valve cover off on Monday and give it a look to see what I can see. I may run it if there's nothing obvious. I'll post a picture if I find anything.

virgin1 04-18-2009 03:39 PM

You're welcome.
While I have never tried it personally I have known a number of people that swear by Marvel's Mystery Oil. It can be used in an almost infinite number of ways it seems.
In the '80's when I was still in the business, we had a rotory supercharged BMW 2002 and we used MMO as a supercharger lubricant.
I also know of those that swore using it as a valve cleaner by slowly pouring it down the throat of the carburetor w/the engine running, but I would not recommend trying that in a modern FI car, so please don't go there.
Though rather old-school, it just might be your answer here too.

gadwhite 04-18-2009 07:24 PM

Marvel mystery oil

I think I'll still pull the valve cover first. I am very curious to see if I can see whats sticking, but also if there is something broken I want to find it fast and not run the risk of more damage.

gadwhite 04-20-2009 09:09 PM

Cover off

4 Attachment(s)
OK got the valve cover off, pulled the coil wire and began bumping the motor through a revolution or two, checking each rocker for play. Bingo found an exhaust valve (on cyl 2 I think its 2) with play. Here is a shot of the whole valve train and the suspect part.

Attachment 149

Attachment 150

Attachment 151

It looks as though there is a little insert in the end of rocker that is moving back and forth. Bad Hydralic lifter? OK next question How to replace ?Attachment 152

hixx 04-21-2009 08:19 AM

Remove the rocker assembly and pull the HLA out with pliers but it may not need one if it got a little trash/carbon in it and just bled down since it sat a week. Pumping them back up requires holding the rpm at 2000 for 2 minutes.

gadwhite 04-21-2009 10:54 AM

Thanks but 2 questions

Questions removed

Hixx you nailed it! Put it back together ran it up to 2000 rpm and after a couple of min running smooth and quiet. I'll probably put a little trans fluid in the cracnk case, run it a little then do an oil change, just to clean things out. Thanks for the tip, you saved me from myself ( love to tear things apart).

gadwhite 04-28-2009 02:39 PM

Still ok

a week after sitting still ok.