Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

replacing stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Default replacing stock stereo

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and a new 929 owner. I bought a '93 929 about 5 days ago. The stock stereo is not functioning. I have checked all the fuses and they are good. The deck will not power on but it will light up around the volume control when I turn on the lights. I haven't gone any further than that. I have the tape/radio and the cd player underneath it.
I'd like to add an aftermarket deck with MP3 capability. I've been looking around for a dash kit but it doesn't seem to be one for the '93. Is this correct? If there isn't then does the aftermarket just slide into place? How about a wire harness adapter? I think I may have seen one for the system. What I'd like to do is remove both stock heads and replace with a kit that houses the new deck and has an extra compartment for other stuff like cd's, change, parking tickets.

I appreciate any feedback
Thanks

Old 05-04-2006, 03:50 AM
Default RE: replacing stock stereo

You can replace it with an aftermarket radio, go buy what ever you want, what you need to do is get you some Ford keys that remove your stock radio and get you what ever radio you want and it will go right in, for the wires you want to get like some ford wires and just connect the wires from your car onto the ford wires and your good to go! let me know about anything else.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:50 AM

there is one small problem replacing the factory stereo in your 929 ,first off there is one small fuse inside of deck at rear of radio deck,secondly if your 929 has the factory amp in the trunk and it isnt working youll have to run each speaker wire one by one to each speaker as the panasonic decks are powewred solely by the amp

[IMG]local://upfiles/4050/A32FBD4B62D5439EA4EEF9BC617B93A9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-04-2006, 08:45 PM

Thanks guys!! I'll probably tear into it this weekend.
Any ideas about the other din? Leave it or is there something I can put in to utilize the space?
Are the stock amps prone to failure?
Does anyone know the specs of the stock amp?

Thanks again
B

Old 05-05-2006, 09:49 AM

i know the specs of the factory amp CRAP, lol youd be best off rewiring the speakers as any decent deck will out power that factory amp anyday oust the amp for a new aftermarket one

Old 05-06-2006, 11:32 PM

Bought a Pioneer DEH-P3800MP friday night at Futureshop (BestBuy sister store here in Canada). Came with a free install so I went for it. I asked them to bypass the factory amp. Well....the guy had a hell of a time getting it in apparently. I guess the factory speakers were 2 ohm and he had to wire them to get 4ohm so the head wouldn't overheat??? Anyways the thing is in....atleast it's sound. I think I'll need to change the speakers soon

Thanks for all the input guys!!

B

Old 05-07-2006, 09:14 AM

what exactly did he have to do to bypass factory amp????????? rewire each speaker? im in need of new head unit aswell just wondering what itll take

Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 AM

my suggestion is to go to http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wwq1LGYDYg2/?wm=tn1 and search parts specifically for your vehicle year/make/model. i was attempting to search for you but ran into the problem (choose option "6 speaker" or "12 speaker"). both of which were for your car... i didn't know which one but it will list all the headunits to fit your car as well as speakers. best part is, crutchfield gives you adapters for your car! i've ordered from them for a while and never have they let me down before!

i do recommend them... they even have a great tech-line e-mail to help you out if you have a question. let us know what you end up doing!

Old 05-07-2006, 08:39 PM

i found it cheaper just to replace everything.i put pioneer everything double din head unit 5x7s 6x9s and tweeters

Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM

Ya, hey guys, I got a 94 929. Just Stumbled across the 6 disc deal in the trunk... It looks like some guy before me Put in a new indash Cd Player.. Looks Like he Ran all seprate wires from the dash to each individual speaker... I Cant seem to get the Drivers side door speaker to work.. Could this be due to the Amp in the trunk?

Quick Reply: replacing stock stereo