Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Removing graphics on 323

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Default Removing graphics on 323

First let me introduce myself...my name is Paul-Michael and I am from northeastern PA, and tomorrow I will be purchasing a 1993 323 with 65k miles on the odometer. Barely broken in!

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to remove the vinyl graphics on the side of the car? I'm assuming some WD-40 and gentle use of a razor will do the trick like with any other vinyl decal, but I wanted to check to make sure this is the best way to go.

Needless to say, once I get the car in my driveway, I'll get some pictures of the car and more formally introduce myself!

Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 AM

or you can use a heat gun ... but don't burn the paint ..

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Paul-Michael. Welcome aboard!
I too am originally from NE Pa. The ABE area to be more specific. Where are you at?

I was going to suggest WD, but you already know that trick.
A warm/hot summers day, or hair dryer is safer than a heat gun, but slower too. That and some goo gone will do the trick.
No matter what you find works best, be sure to wash the area thoroughly after. I'm sure you know that too.

What vinyl graphics are you trying to remove? Did somebody do a Fast and Furious on the car?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by virgin1

Hi Paul-Michael. Welcome aboard!
I too am originally from NE Pa. The ABE area to be more specific. Where are you at?

I was going to suggest WD, but you already know that trick.
A warm/hot summers day, or hair dryer is safer than a heat gun, but slower too. That and some goo gone will do the trick.
No matter what you find works best, be sure to wash the area thoroughly after. I'm sure you know that too.

What vinyl graphics are you trying to remove? Did somebody do a Fast and Furious on the car?
Thanks for the welcome! I'm from just outside Scranton myself, but I get down to ABE quite a bit. As you can tell from my screen name, I have a Merkur Scorpio, and a good friend of mine who also has a Scorpio lives just off Tilghman!

So I think I'm going to take the car to the local DIY car wash, spray on a whole bunch of WD-40 to get the decals off, and then give her a good inaugural wash.

The graphics on the car are actually those oh-so early 90's bright blue and pinkish color splashes that dealers liked to offer people who felt the need to spend a few hundred bucks on extra "flair" lol! I don't mind the blue graphics, but the pink has got to go lol!

I'm hoping the paint underneath the graphics isn't noticeably different in hue from the rest of the car, but if it is I plan on getting some very basic black vinyl graphics for a temporary solution and then repainting the whole thing in the summer. I find 323s look particularly sharp with no side graphics whatsoever.

I'm hoping to ultimately bring the car back to showroom like condition (it's not too far from it as is), and doing some eco-mods to try and push my gas mileage past 40 mpg if possible.

I should officially own the car in just a few hours, so I'll be getting the pics up right away! I'm so excited lol!