Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

My Power Antennea

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Default My Power Antennea

How in the world do I fix my power antennea? It's driving me crazy...

Old 03-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Default RE: My Power Antennea

What is it doing thats driving you crazy?

Old 03-23-2006, 11:11 PM

Its supposed to go down when the car is off but its stuck in the up position.. the motor tries unsuccessfully to bring it down.... hmmm.. why does everything have to mess up with MY car.. oh yeah I got the fan clutch replaced... there is a breeze coming from it like no other.. the car runs great and guess what... I found out my car did not have a thermostat... Is that a bad thing? I cant seem to find one small enough to fit it either...

Old 03-24-2006, 01:01 AM

It sounds like the plastic gear strip beneath the mast is broken and not retracting the antenna. I am not sure if just the mast itself is replaceable. I have replaced the mast on many other vehicles without having to replace the entire power antenna motor assembly. This would be a great question for babyhuey to answer..

As for the thermostat, the car can overheat without one also. The purpose of it is to regulate the flow of coolant through the radiator. If no thermostat is present, the coolant will flow too fast through the radiator before it has a chance to cool properly before being cycled back to the engine. Here is a link for a thermostat that has a good pic of it.>>> THERMOSTAT

Old 03-24-2006, 07:01 PM

Missing thermostat might well be why you did not have heat from the heater as well as it is basically the same thing as a stuck open thermostat.
We are looking for this thermostat in the housing where the LOWER radiator hose attaches to the engine and not the upper radidator hose where most t-stats are located?
And yes the antenna mast is avail separate from the motor. Does the mast move at all or can you just hear the motor running with no movement of the mast?

Old 03-28-2006, 02:59 PM

I think the guy was looking in the upper part of the car.... Its right in front of the radiator and has a wire thing attached to it.... Theres a hose attached to the left of it I think... I can hear the motor but the antennae doesnt move.

Old 03-28-2006, 10:26 PM

Have him look at where the lower hose attaches to the engine for the thermostat. Below is a depiction of it.
If the motor is running then it is probably ok. May have the end broken off though that will probably require removal of the antenna motor, taking off the inspection cover, and extracting broken end. Is very easy on your car due to the location for removal. The OE part number for a replacement antenna is 0000-81-2627 and retails for $21.50. If you get the new antenna you can compare lengths to see if the end is broken off inside.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/ED6F322458C142D0A86C002BE2BCD013.gif[/IMG]

Old 03-29-2006, 08:20 PM

I used to replace these masts on Acuras and Hondas all the time. These were all the type mounted in the rear quarter panel next to the trunk. What we would do was to turn the radio on and let the motor run until it stops...leave the key on still. Take off the chrome nut and pull the broken mast out. Get the new mast and push the gear strip back inside the motor assy. with the teeth facing rearward. Once the gear strip is fully inserted till it bottoms out, turn the radio off and let the antenna retract itself. Install the cap nut and turn the radio back on and it will self adjust itself. It takes two people to do this procedure to keep from damaging anything.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:13 AM

hi to all,
I just tried to replace my 99 Mazda 626's broken power antenna w/ a new one (complete PW22 system). when i turn the radio on, you can hear music from the stations but the antenna mast did not extend. my guess is that I may have incorrectly wired something (w/c causes the motor relay not to work properly) or I may have missed out some other steps required in the installation.
can somebody please help me solve this problem? can anyone also share a complete step-by-step guide (if possible, w/ diagrams) on how to install this correctly? I would appreciate any help or advise from you.
thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 PM

Is this an aftermarket power antenna assembly? There are only three wires for the power antenna system in the OE harness.

Black wire is ground wire and should be connected to a good body metal part.
Blue w/ Red stripe wire should have 12 volts at all times thru the 15 Amp 'ROOM' fuse in the underdash fuse box.
Yellow w/ Red stripe wire is "ON" signal from the stereo and should have 12 volts with radio on, 0 volts with stereo off.

Quick Reply: My Power Antennea