Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/)
-   -   Mazda 323 stalls when throttle touched (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/mazda-323-stalls-when-throttle-touched-3284/)

eardrums 05-14-2006 08:16 AM

Mazda 323 stalls when throttle touched

Hi,

My 323 mazda stalls when i touch my foot on the throttle, even when i am crusing if i touch my throttle lightly it takes the revs down instead of up
I have read a few posts on this site and thin maybe my MAF sensor is dirty,
but the guy at my local garage say's it may be due to the fact my clutch is very worn and a layer of clutch material
is covering a sensor that detects the position of some shaft whitch is linked direct to my engine control.

do you agree with him

also i dont know where to find the MAF sensor , any body know where it is?
Thanks
for your help

mazdab2600 05-14-2006 10:32 AM

RE: Mazda 323 stalls when throttle touched

gas engine's need 3 things to run air fuel and spark(ignition)
if your air filters not plugged then you got air
the engine runs at idle so you should have spark
so i'm going with fuel
fuel filter plugged
fuel pump on its way out
clogged injecter(s)
start with the easy stuff
fuel filter

eardrums 05-14-2006 10:45 AM

Thanks for your reply..

I should have stated that i have just had a full service ,new plug's ,leads,fuel filter and rotor arm this cost me 660 pounds!!
and you can imagine how i felt when as soon as i drove out the garage it started jumping and trying to stall when throttle was touched.

[:@]

and to cap it all the problem that was intermitant is now a full time fixture....

is there a way i can test the fuel pump?

mazdab2600 05-14-2006 11:06 AM

most garage's have a fuel psi gauge kit for testing
just hooks up inline or to the fuel injection rail(looks like an oversized tire valve)
not sure of your year of 323 but fuel psi should be 30-50 psi for fuel injection systems

eardrums 05-14-2006 11:18 AM

The year of my mazda is 1997,it's a 1.8 executive 5 door .

i will phone the guy that serviced my car and see if he did try a fuel pump pressure test .

bkey71 05-14-2006 11:45 PM

The MAF means Mass Air Flow sensor. It is located on the air intake tube into the engine right above the air filter. I am not sure about non-US models, but should be similar to mine. This is the same problem I had exactly.

What I did was to remove the sensor assembly from the air cleaner housing and air inlet tube. Next get some electronic parts cleaner or non-chlorinated brake cleaner and clean the thin wire sensor inside. You must look down the barrel of the sensor to see it. DO NOT TOUCH the thin wire with a screwdriver, or the like, as it will break easily. After reassembly it was like a night and day difference! The MAF is very sensitive and when it gets a thin layer of carbon build up on it, it cannot read the air properly and will not signal the computer to open the injectors properly.

eardrums 05-15-2006 04:49 PM

Thanks for this advise,
i will try and clean the maf and see's if it helps.