Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

ECU computer / immobilizer problems?? or other?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Default RE: ECU computer / immobilizer problems?? or other?

new PCM won't go into program mode...
Recap: Ordered new ECU, installed and now mechanic is trying to code the codeword to the ECU w/ procedure. The immoby was not replaced. Any ideas?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:23 PM

Mechanic called Jason @ onlinemazdaparts.com said the immoby was probly bad.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM

Ordered new Immoby, this car is trying my patience.
So from what I gather if the only problem is the immoby you'd still have to replace ecu b/c of the codeword right?

Hope this fixes it, if not I'm gonna develop a serious drinking problem.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:34 PM

What was the system doing that it would not go into program mode?
Should only need to normally replace the immobilizer unit if you do not have any valid keys (ie keys that could normally start the car before). Did you try using a non-valid key when inputting the code word or are any of your keys currently valid to the existing immoby unit? Since you are going to be replacing the immoby anyway as it is ordered, Are you also going to use a new set of keys. Minimum of two required but is always better to have three. If one key gets lost the procedure to program a new key is very simple if you have at least two valid keys.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:10 PM

Both Immobilizer Unit and PCM Replacement
NOTE:
Keys may be valid or new keys.
When an error occurs in steps 1 to 4, repeat the procedure from step 1.
When an error occurs in step 5, perform the Reprogram error recovery procedure for both immobilizer unit and PCM replacement.
If no specific time interval is given, each step should be performed within 30 seconds of the previous step.
1. Cut new transponder equipped key(s) if necessary.
2. Replace immobilizer unit and PCM.
3. Using key 1, turn ignition switch to ON. Observe security light illuminates and then goes out in instrument panel.
a. Turn key 1 to LOCK. Observe security light blinks once repeatedly.
4. Using key 2, turn ignition switch to ON. Observe security light illuminates and then goes out.
a. Turn key 2 to LOCK. Observe security light blinks twice repeatedly.
5. Using key 3, turn ignition switch to ON. Observe security light illuminates and then goes out.
a. Turn key 3 to LOCK. Observe security light blinks three times repeatedly.
6. If there are 48 keys (valid andor new keys), repeat step 4.
7. Wait for 30 seconds to quit reprogram mode.
8. After reprogramming, clear DTCs of PCM with NGS.

Reprogram error recovery procedure for both immobilizer unit and PCM replacement
NOTE:
If no specific time interval is given, each step should be performed within 30 seconds of the previous step.
1. Using key 1, start engine. After security light illuminates for 12 seconds, turn key 1 to LOCK.
2. Using key 1, turn ignition switch to ON then back to LOCK five times. Key should not remain at ON or LOCK for more than one second.
3. Using key 1, turn ignition switch to ON (security light illuminates).
4. Turn key 1 to LOCK and remove from steering lock (security light goes out).
5. Using key 2, start engine. Observe security light illuminates (about 12 seconds) and engine continues to run.
6. Turn key 2 to LOCK and remove from steering lock.
7. Repeat step 5 and 6 with key 1.
8. Repeat step 5 and 6 with key 3.
9. If there are 48 keys (valid andor new keys), repeat step 5 and 6.
10. Wait for 30 seconds to quit reprogram mode.
11. After reprogramming, clear DTCs of PCM with NGS.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 PM

HOLY CRAP, the car starts!!!!!!! Did not require new keys.

to recap:

New ECU, $250 (after core), New Immobilizer $193, car actually starting = Priceless!

Bad part is I'm out about $1500 total though. Troubleshooting and repairs (mechanic to mechanic, towed 4x's)!

*Hope this thread helps others out!...

Old 10-21-2006, 10:43 PM

Quick question, I've noticed my gas mileage has decreased by about 2-3mpg since the ecu replacement? Is this normal? Anything I can checkout?

Old 05-05-2007, 12:36 AM

Hey babyhuey
I can tell you know what you're talking about when it comes to ECM, immobilizer and stuff like that.
I would very much like to ask for your help.
I bought a 2000 Mazda 626 LX 4cyl auto from the auction recently. The car had no keys.
I bought a used inginiton swith with the lock cylinder, key, remote and ECM - all from a same car.
I installed everything but now the immobilizer will not let me start the car. It only cranks but I guess the gas is cut-off.
Is there any way to program the immobilizer to work with the new key and ECM?
Will putting the original ECM unit back in the car solve anything?
Thank you very much for your time..

Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM

Hi Sounds like I may have the same problem.
y girlfriends van (2001 Mazda MPV) was on the expressway when it died, out of nowhere.
When I put the key in the lights flash and the horn honks about 5 times.
It will not start. I was told by the dealer that he thinks the car thinks it was stolen.
This model, I guess has a factory passive alarm even though I have both remotes and two keys for the car.
I did not even know the car had an alarm system until then. It has never gone off. Does this also sound like my problem.
Should I replace the Immobilizer? I would try to reprogram the key but I am not sure exactly where it is to get the correct
numbers so I can get the codeword or where to get the codeword. I found instructions on how to program the keys online.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Joe

Old 11-30-2008, 09:17 PM

Joseph,
it's been a while since I had that problem but I just called a local locksmith, he came and reprogrammed the immobilizer to work with the new key for about $150. It took him about 20 minutes but I can't tell you what he did since he was in the car the whole time..

Good luck!

Quick Reply: ECU computer / immobilizer problems?? or other?