Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 07:51 PM
Default Couple questions

I just bought an '88 323 gtx with 136k miles cosmetically it's pretty much perfect inside and out, but mechanically it has little issues and i don't know where to go for answers to my many questions, hopefully some people on here might be able and willing to help. So the car has a long list of maintenance with receipts to prove it but there's a couple things here and there that are either minor annoyances/ causes for concern.

1. The interior lights don't work ie the map lights and door lights and radio doesn't work. I've checked most fuses but I wonder if there is something I'm missing, a main relay that I haven't checked.

2. It has HKS exhaust on it, but the midpipe is rattling a lot and I wonder if it's a glass pack that has broken.

3. I installed a K&N cone filter and can now hear the turbo spooling better which is cool but I can also hear what sounds like the waste gate sticking open possibly, not positive but around 4k rpms letting off slightly on the gas pedal it makes a sucking honking type noise. This is really vague I know but maybe someone has experienced it too.

4. When sitting at idle the fuel pump seems abnormally noisy. But I don't know what I should replace it with, OEM pump or go high performance.

5. The fuel gauge doesn't work very well, also would like to replace it but not sure where to look.

6. I would like to replace the suspensions bushings and try and bring the car as a whole up to modern spec (if that makes sense) I absolutely love this car and want to prolong the life and make it as reliable as I can.

If anyone has any hints on where to look for parts for these things I would be super grateful as I have been looking for months and only seem to find things here and there.

Hope to meet more Mazda enthusiasts through this!

Thanks!