Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

92 Mazda 626, Non-Starting, A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:26 AM
Default 92 Mazda 626, Non-Starting, A few questions

Short version of the background: This car's been sitting undriven for several years and —not surprisingly— wouldn't start. It tested successfully for spark but no fuel. I found the fuel pump was broken —in several ways (The strainer was ripped (almost completely off), the return inlet nipple thing was cracked and the pump motor itself was inoperative). I replaced both the pump and the fuel filter.

Before installing the new filter I ran a bit of the old gas through the lines to possibly flush out whatever, other than gas, might be in there.
I realize I need to drain out all the old gas and replace it with new and I will when I have sufficient containers, find where to dispose of it, etc. In the meantime, I found that it was getting fuel right up to and out of the fuel filter, got a little anxious to test it, reconnected the fuel line, gave it a few tries but still no start. The gas is several years old. I know this is not ideal and didn't expect a perfectly smooth running engine but I thought there'd be some sort of reaction, maybe ignition with smoking, sputtering, choking, etc. but something. If everything else is OK shouldn't there have been some reaction?

Surprised and disappointed, I sprayed a little starter fluid into the plug holes. Still nothing. (I had previously sprayed in PB blaster and earlier, some "Marvel Mystery Oil") I later read that, it's not recommended to use starter fluid with a fuel-injected gas engine but, if you do, it should be introduced to the air intake instead of the spark plug holes. I didn't try this (yet?) Again, since there previously was spark, shouldn't there have been some type of reaction?

My understanding is that, after doing this sort of repair, one should use the "Schraeder valve" to bleed the air from the fuel lines. I was unable to locate anything resembling a "Schraeder valve". Is there a Schraeder valve on a 1992 Mazda 626 DX (2.2L F2 engine?) and if so, where is it?

While under there hunting the "Schraeder valve", what I did find was a slight clickity buzz/humm (like that from a transformer, electromagnet, relay or similar) that sounded as though it was coming from right around the "2.2" on the air intake manifold. Any idea what this is and/or if this is normal?

I don't know much about fuel injection systems but I read there is a power relay that "supplies the initial voltage to the injectors and consists of a simple switch. If the relay is defective internally, shorted or disconnected, all of the fuel injectors will be shut down, which will cut off all fuel supply." Does it sound like the Power Relay may be the problem? Where is the fuel injector Power Relay on a a 1992 Mazda 626 DX?

I plan to drain the tank, refill with fresh gas, add some injector cleaner, probably put in spark plugs and, eventually, al the other stuff that it'll need (belts hoses, etc.) but for now, I'd just like to get it to turn over. Any answers, suggestions etc will be very much appreciated. Thank you!