Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/)
-   -   20mpg only? (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-323-mazda-626-mazda-929-24/20mpg-only-23606/)

pantablo 08-01-2010 01:28 AM

20mpg only?

I've had this 2000 626 4cyl auto now for about 5-6 weeks. It only has 32,000 miles on it.

I thought I'd be getting better gas mileage but the first few tanks were consistently 20.x mpg. I realized the front tires we way under inflated (under 20psi) so with all 4 tires properly inflated I checked again...same rough mpg.

I haven't done a thing to the car since buying it except put 2k miles on it. Seller told me it needed a oil change, which I have yet to do, but otherwise no info given.

My driving is mostly short drives in town, almost exclusively with possibly one 30 minute each way freeway drive a week. My fuel gauge shows little less than 1/2 tank and I'm on target to make 20.x mpg again based on trip mileage this tank.

Is my poor mileage a function of my driving short trips? Are there things I should do to the car maintenance-wise to better that? I suppose I should give it a tune up. I was expecting to do a major service at 36k miles but should look at the manual again.

Is my experience unusual or common?

shipo 08-01-2010 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by pantablo (Post 109676)
I've had this 2000 626 4cyl auto now for about 5-6 weeks. It only has 32,000 miles on it.

I thought I'd be getting better gas mileage but the first few tanks were consistently 20.x mpg. I realized the front tires we way under inflated (under 20psi) so with all 4 tires properly inflated I checked again...same rough mpg.

I haven't done a thing to the car since buying it except put 2k miles on it. Seller told me it needed a oil change, which I have yet to do, but otherwise no info given.

My driving is mostly short drives in town, almost exclusively with possibly one 30 minute each way freeway drive a week. My fuel gauge shows little less than 1/2 tank and I'm on target to make 20.x mpg again based on trip mileage this tank.

Is my poor mileage a function of my driving short trips? Are there things I should do to the car maintenance-wise to better that? I suppose I should give it a tune up. I was expecting to do a major service at 36k miles but should look at the manual again.

Is my experience unusual or common?

First off, change the oil, and do it today. :)

Second, with a high percentage of short trips one can expect very poor mileage, and I'm thinking that your 20.x is probably about what you can expect.

Third, once you get the oil changed and confirm that you've still got good pressure in the tires, take it on a long freeway trip and then calculate the mileage, I suspect you'll see closer to 30 mpg.

pantablo 08-02-2010 12:38 AM

Is there an oil issue I should know about on this car? I've done some reading on it and haven't really come across anything like that. I mean, I'll change it and all, but wondering if it comes up on this car often...

shipo 08-02-2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by pantablo (Post 109782)
Is there an oil issue I should know about on this car? I've done some reading on it and haven't really come across anything like that. I mean, I'll change it and all, but wondering if it comes up on this car often...

Sorry to sound flippant, but what kind of an issue are you referring to?

FWIW, all cars get crappy mileage when driven primarily for short/urban trips.

pantablo 08-02-2010 03:41 PM

No worries. I figured the short trips was killing the gas mileage but thought I'd ask just in case there wasn't some maintenance thing that needed tobe done to help it.

Originally Posted by shipo (Post 109681)
First off, change the oil, and do it today. :)

No issue really, just when I read this it made me wonder if these cars burn oil or something. oil change definitely on my list to do right away.

Thanks again for the info.